Best Tour De France riders in history?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
Well this one could run and run. ;)

Without doubt you have to be one of the best to be a multiple winner. However, in terms of the "greatest cyclists to ride the Tour de France" there are some that have never even won it (in my opinion), climbers such as Virenque. It's an achievement just to finish so you have to take your hat off to the likes of George Hincapie. Armstrong came back from cancer and Lemond came back from being shot there's hundreds of great stories, look up Charly Gaul climbing a frozen alpine pass and having to be thawed out half way up !!

Good luck choosing a short list :tongue:

OP
OP
C

Cyclisme

Wait, Greg Lemond was shot? I'll have to look that one up, very interesting.

I'm thinking of reporting on 5 different cyclists but I'm not to sure what makes them the best Tour de France riders? The obvious answer is to just choose the riders that won the most but there are so many other factors like adversity and raw talent.

Cheddar George

oober member
Yup ! i believe Greg is still walking around full of lead shot today !!

You have to choose between the obvious "greats" Merckx/Anquetil/Hinault/Indurain/Armstrong or writing about lesser riders with a more interesting story. Indurain was a great all round rider, fast time trialler and climbed fantastically for a big man but does not have a very interesting back story.

OP
OP
C

Cyclisme

Just for yourself? For schoool/ university? Just wondered....

For school. It has to be related to a summer event. Seeing as the Tour is one of the biggest sporting events of the summer I have decided to right about the best to ever compete in it.

Noodley

Plenty of stories from this year's tour to fill a report!!

ohnovino

Large Member
Even the greats need team-mates to help them out, so any list of the best riders should include some of the super-domestiques: riders like Jens Voigt or George Hincapie, who may not be Tour winners but who's work-rate and determination go a long way to deciding the end result.

NickM

Veteran
Here are some names you could research:

Michel Pollentier
Bjarne Riis
Richard Virenque
Lance Armstrong
Alexandre Vinokourov

They all got outstanding results.

OP
OP
C

Cyclisme

Even the greats need team-mates to help them out, so any list of the best riders should include some of the super-domestiques: riders like Jens Voigt or George Hincapie, who may not be Tour winners but who's work-rate and determination go a long way to deciding the end result.

True. I am thinking on just writing about the winners of the Tour but i will certainly give an honourable mention to the workhorses.

OP
OP
C

Cyclisme

Here are some names you could research:

Michel Pollentier
Bjarne Riis
Richard Virenque
Lance Armstrong
Alexandre Vinokourov

They all got outstanding results.

Vinokourov was done for doping wasn't he? Would it be morally corrupt of me to include him?

Top Bottom