Best tubes for puncture-resistance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Can anyone please recommend the best bicycle tubes for puncture-resistance?
  1. Weight is NOT an issue, because the puncture-resistance is more important to me than a few piddly extra grams.
  2. The tubes should come in sizes that will fit 700x25C and 700x28C tyres.
  3. I'd prefer threaded valves, and they must be Presta.
  4. My preferred online vendor is Chain Reaction Cycles, but I'm prepared to buy elsewhere if needed.

--- Victor.

Tim Hall

A theory is that latex tubes have good puncture resistance, as they deform around whatever has gone into the tyre. They do need more regular topping up though.

I suspect all tubes have about the same puncture resistance - almost none! By the time the naughty sharp bit has gone through the tyre, it is all over. There is nothing the poor tube can do.
There is a school of thought that says all tubes are much the same, though there may be something to be said for lighter ones. Some people put a sealant inside, but not me as I am very weight conscious, especially rolling weight.
25C and 28c will be the same tube size. They expand to fit the space inside the tyre.
Your puncture resistance will come from banded tyres of which there are plenty. They do work, up to a point, but the heavier ones are less fun to ride on, but more durable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's the tyres, not the tubes.
Not necessarily ... a friend bought a box of 10 tubes once and every one of them failed at the seam! But yes - normally it is crappy tyres rather than crappy tubes to blame.

Victor - I assume that you are having a lot of puncture problems? Are you riding over particularly hostile terrain - lots of flints or thorns?

I typically only get about 1 puncture per 800 - 1,000 miles ridden.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Quite possibly: is this still going on, @victor ?
Yes, it is (there were more tacks seen last week), but that's not the reason I was asking about puncture-resistant tubes. I've actually avoided that area since the tacks started in February.

So, I guess the consensus in this thread is that all tubes are equal, unless I'm misunderstanding everyone? I use Marathon Plus tyres on both my bikes, so puncture-resistance isn't an issue there. I just wanted some opinions on which tubes people think are better.

Top Bottom