Best TV series ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Lots of good suggestions already. Not long finished 'Galactica' (the reboot, obviously)- instant classic.

If you don't mind subtitles, the brilliant French series 'Spiral' (first two seasons on DVD now- £16 at play.com!-, third will be on BBC4 soon)- if you like 'The Shield' and 'The Wire' (and I most emphatically do) this will be right up your street. And if you haven't got into it already, 'The Killing'. Which will also be out on DVD soon. And if you've never seen it, the mini-series version of 'Das Boot'.

'Seinfeld'
'The Prisoner'
and I must remember to buy this myself- the cruelly cancelled after six episodes but utterly hilarious 'Police Squad'.

mangaman

Another vote here for the Wire. I've got the boxset and can watch it over and over and notice new things.

Fawlty towers was great as was Porridge.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Apart form the non fiction stuff and stuff that might have seemed really good from my childhood but I'm not sure it really was I would vote for 'Being Human' as my current best TV series. I hope there is another series soon.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What did you make of the recent modern version with Martin Clunes? I quite liked it, mainly though, I must admit due to a bit of ahem...manly weakness... for co-star Fay Ripley!

Very poor. There's a gulf of difference between Leonard Rossiters performance and Clunes, regardless of the simple brilliance of the original writing. If you've not seen the original, £12 will get you the full set on Amazon.
My 11 y/o was mildly interested in Clunes but laughs his socks-off at Rossiter whose portrayal of the sheer desperation of Perrin is painfuly real. There's a reason why he's my avatar. The clip I link too in my sig-line speaks volumes and is me completely.
Quite why they thought they could re-make it escapes me. The original packs so much into the first half-dozen episodes.
Fab stuff.

potsy

Rambler
Gimme Gimme Gimme
Lost
True Blood
Shameless
Eastenders
To name just a few
biggrin.gif

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Lots of good suggestions already. Not long finished 'Galactica' (the reboot, obviously)- instant classic.

If you don't mind subtitles, the brilliant French series 'Spiral' (first two seasons on DVD now- £16 at play.com!-, third will be on BBC4 soon)- if you like 'The Shield' and 'The Wire' (and I most emphatically do) this will be right up your street. And if you haven't got into it already, 'The Killing'. Which will also be out on DVD soon. And if you've never seen it, the mini-series version of 'Das Boot'.

'Seinfeld'
'The Prisoner'
and I must remember to buy this myself- the cruelly cancelled after six episodes but utterly hilarious 'Police Squad'.

+1 for that, it was excellent.

Das boot was one of the most compelling things I've ever seen on the box. It was on around the time our kids were young and we didn't get out much along with GBH, Cracker and Twin Peaks.

Top Bottom