Best type of bike for on-road and off-road cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
This would do the job very well, Stockton on Tees
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman...331818?hash=item1a9f187caa:g:QdoAAOSwWr5fKUzd

not sure what price it’ll reach , with a day and a bit to go. Medium the right size

The bike looks good to me ....buy it !

If you're planning on doing this -
exposed-roots-are-no-problem-for-remi.jpeg

Then yes. Mountain bike.

If your paths look more like this -
familycyclingdelemere.jpg

Then a road hybrid or gravel bike would be much better for you.

rivers

How far can I go?
A gravel or CX bike should suit both. I've taken my cross bike through the mountain bike trails at ashton court and Ben Nevis (blue trails only), single track, gravel, bridleways, and on road.

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
If you're planning on doing this - View attachment 540879

Then yes. Mountain bike.

If your paths look more like this -
View attachment 540880

Then a road hybrid or gravel bike would be much better for you.
Yeah the second one is definitely more what I'm looking to do. The first one maybe in a year or 2 if I find I really enjoy riding. But I'm no where near good enough for it yet haha. I think that boardman looks pretty good to be honest. I'm hoping it doesn't shoot up in price but it's looking like it's going that way. Can't believe it's going up like that for 7 year old bike

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah the second one is definitely more what I'm looking to do. The first one maybe in a year or 2 if I find I really enjoy riding. But I'm no where near good enough for it yet haha. I think that boardman looks pretty good to be honest. I'm hoping it doesn't shoot up in price but it's looking like it's going that way. Can't believe it's going up like that for 7 year old bike
New one is £550 but you’ll need to keep an eye out for availability.
Whyte R7 are great too, a more MTB oriented/geometry fast hybrid

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Just had a look at the R7 series. Nice bikes but the only ones in the my price range really are the Whitechapel and the Carnaby which is a compact. To be fair, it's looks a very similar size to me so not sure what makes it compact.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just had a look at the R7 series. Nice bikes but the only ones in the my price range really are the Whitechapel and the Carnaby which is a compact. To be fair, it's looks a very similar size to me so not sure what makes it compact.
They had double chainsets on past models so look second hand 👍🏻
Or do you mean something else? They are also doing models with 650b and 700c wheels

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
I'm not sure what you mean by double chainsets to be honest. It just listed 3 of the models as compacts. I assumed they would be slightly shorter bikes but they look very similar.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’m a little confused, is your main riding Going to be on road or off? You can do a 15 minute commute (3 miles?) on anything including a hard tail (and indeed much further), but if you’re going to be doing proper rough off road, suspension might be better. Just make sure you can lock it out for roads if at all possible

You do know a hard tail bike has suspension?

Top Bottom