Best type of bike for on-road and off-road cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Oh I don’t know, what does the Whyte site say?
These guys near Middlesborough sell Whyte
http://www.bikescene.co.uk/
Yeah I think the frame is just shorter in some areas looking at the geometry listed. I'll give those guys a ring tomorrow. They don't say how much they have in stock for each of the bikes.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
"the majority of my riding would be on the road but I would like option to be able to go off-road"

Cyclocross or gravel, possibly on the used market. If you are riding mostly on roads then a mountain bike is the last thing you want.

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Not to restart a pretty much dead thread, but are hydraulic brakes really that much better than the mechanical ones? Im finding some decent second hand gravel bikes but most seem to have mechanical. I think I'll be spending a fortune for hydraulic ones

vickster

Legendary Member
if they’re good mechanical disc brakes like TRP Spyre or Avid BB7 (and you could change to either of these for around £100)

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
It was most of them in my price range to be honest. I've been looking at some of the boardman and specialized ones. There's was tifosi cavazzo on there for 900 or best offer but it's gone already. That was only mechanical. I was under the impression that disk brakes are miles better and quite useful when riding on trails and what not. Am I wrong? It wouldnt surprise me haha.

vickster

Legendary Member
It was most of them in my price range to be honest. I've been looking at some of the boardman and specialized ones. There's was tifosi cavazzo on there for 900 or best offer but it's gone already. That was only mechanical. I was under the impression that disk brakes are miles better and quite useful when riding on trails and what not. Am I wrong? It wouldnt surprise me haha.
But your budget is £500-600?

How fast are you going to be on the trails and riding when it's very mucky? Gravel bikes aren't so much for mucky bumpy conditions, that's more a mountain bike?

And you said before you'll be riding mostly on roads...I'm still confused as to what you want? Maybe you need a road bike and an MTB?

If you do want Gravel, Merlin have this in your budget (new and in stock). Get their advice on sizing
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2-claris-gravel-bike-2021-197226.html

Or for more cash https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2p-tiagra-gravel-bike-2021-197427.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Now I'm confused. I thought a gravel bike was specifically made for bumpy conditions. Gravel roads and dirt tracks. I just figured it gravel bikes were pretty much hybrids with drop handlebars. And yeah my budget is around that but I'm willing to spend a little more but only if it's really good deal.

I want to be able to do a bit of both. Not necessarily true off roading but on unpaved tracks. Like the picture the other guy posted. I think I want either a hybrid or a gravel. Those Merlins seem like what I'm after. I think I may of confused things by calling it off roading. Like I say they are more unpaved forestry and gravel tracks that I'm thinking off.

vickster

Legendary Member
So not woods and MTB trails? I don't really know what you mean as here in suburban London most things in parks etc are passable in summer at least on a road bike! I hadn't seen the pictures but the second one looks like a better surface than most of the roads around here!!

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Well they are kind of forestry tracks through woods. And from what I've seen on YouTube gravel bikes handle regular pathways through woods. They seem to handle things like roots quite well. Where I live I literally have the north Yorkshire Dale's on my doorstep so it would that kind of terrain if you know what I mean. I feel like I've confused things with my inexperience haha.

And yeah I missed out on the boardman because I had rubbish signal. I got a notification telling me it was nearly ended but couldn't load up the app.

OP
OP
W

Wardy940

Regular
Yeah I think I may. Seems like a decent bike for the price. I think I would prefer drops overall for the longer distance rides. But again I'm not entirely sure. Which is why I wanted to try both types out to see what I prefer. I know I'd have to get used to drops like

Top Bottom