Best value bike with discs and ultegra...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrodieCull

Regular
I've been considering a new bike and the key things I'm after are disc brakes and minimum ultegra spec. What are the best options out there?

iluvmybike

Über Member
If you are wanting to buy now then choice is limited as there is a worldwide shortage of bikes - especially if you wnat it to be Shimano equipped. Personally I'd wait until later next year when things may have improved. If not then it will be a question of contacting your local shops to dee what they have available in yuor size and your spec

Lozz360

Veteran
Another vote for Decathlon bikes (my new avatar is of my B'twin Ultra so I could be biased!)

However, to get a road bike with Ultegra there is the Van Rysel EDR AF (AF = aluminium frame CF = carbon), but rim brakes for £1,500 (limited stock at the moment). To get disc brakes there is the Van Rysel EDR CF 105 for £2,250 but has 105 not Ultegra (again limited stock). To get both, there is the Van Rysel EDR CF Ultegra for £3,000 but is currently out of stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Always worth checking cost of replacement parts and expected lifespan of such components so you have an idea of day to day costs of such bikes. Obviously you may be happy to pay those prices but it isn't just the initial purchase price. I'm more of a Claris guy myself but I've seen it stated many times for a performance road bike that still offers great value Shimano 105 delivers long life durable components that are fairly low cost to replace.

Also the cheapest Ultegra bike may end up with a fairly mediocre frame, forks and wheels. The best value bikes are typically direct sellers or factory to retail direct operations like Halfords, Decathlon, Go Outdoors, Evans etc for their own brands.

Always worth checking cost of replacement parts and expected lifespan of such components so you have an idea of day to day costs of such bikes. Obviously you may be happy to pay those prices but it isn't just the initial purchase price. I'm more of a Claris guy myself but I've seen it stated many times for a performance road bike that still offers great value Shimano 105 delivers long life durable components that are fairly low cost to replace.

Also the cheapest Ultegra bike may end up with a fairly mediocre frame, forks and wheels. The best value bikes are typically direct sellers or factory to retail direct operations like Halfords, Decathlon, Go Outdoors, Evans etc for their own brands.
Ultegra should last you years. And when you replace it there's no need to buy Ultegra

vickster

Legendary Member

You can fit 11 speed 105, SRAM, other or unbranded cassettes and chains to an Ultegra bike. shifters, mechs, cranksets aren't really wear and tear items.
That said there's not much difference between 105 & Ultegra in usage but the OP must have his/her reasons :okay:

You can fit 11 speed 105, SRAM, other or unbranded cassettes and chains to an Ultegra bike. shifters, mechs, cranksets aren't really wear and tear items.
That said there's not much difference between 105 & Ultegra in usage but the OP must have his/her reasons :okay:

To be honest I don't have any personal experience of Ultegra myself but have seen the price of Ultegra cassettes and chains and seen touring bike advice where it strongly states to avoid high end components because of short life and more problematic functionality for long journeys. Things like quicklinks too are single use for the thinner 11 chains but are multi-use for the thicker chains for 8-9 speed cogsets etc. Just seems like costs ramp up considerably. I understand your point about going for cheaper 105 but then it will be heavier but don't people normally avoid unbranded cassettes and chains. I mean they can be problematic on 8-9 speed bikes so can imagine them being much, much worse on higher end groupsets. I saw a recent video about chains on youtube where a chain bought from aliexpress was compared to Shimano and the lifespan was just a tiny fraction of the Shimano chain. In fact I think it had stretched out of spec in just a few hundred miles. You can buy a cheap 6 or 7 speed chain and get away with it because of the thicker links but 11 speed would surely need far higher engineering standards.

Top Bottom