Best VR Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogz111

Hi Guys,

First post!

I've decided to get into biking and have bought a road bike through the cycle to work scheme.

Given the weather is terrible and I need to shed some timber I've decided to get a turbo trainer. I've done some research on the net and looked at DC Rainmaker as some suggested on here in a previous post. I'm after something with VR to help pass the time and make it more enjoyable

I've looked so far at BKool and Tacx I-Genesis but I'm confused as to what's better or gives best trade off between capability and cost or if anything else is better

Looking to spend up to £600ish but if cheaper that's better

Appreciate any thoughts or comments

Cheers

Dave

Buck

Guru
Hi Dave

Welcome to CycleChat :okay:

Here's my limited knowledge on the world of VR training - hopefully others will be along soon to share their experiences and knowledge.

There are a number of sites/programmes that offer the virtual training experience. In no particular order:-

- Zwift
- BKool
- Tacx
- Trainerroad
- Thesufferfest
- ++ ??

For the virtual world to work at its best you need to make sure you get a smart trainer. Those turbo trainers that allow you to adjust resistance manually are fine but are less realistic. Smart trainers on the other hand will enable the VR programme to control the resistance for you so when, for example, you go up a hill the resistance automatically increases and it gets harder to pedal at the same speed/cadence.

How much does this cost? If you want to go in at the premium end with a Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr you are going to be spending c£800-1000 for the machine alone. You then need to factor in a computer and screen etc.

Tack I think do three smart trainers (Vortex Smart / Bushido Smart / Neo) the Bushido offers a better level of resistance and the Neo being a direct drive (like the Wahoo Kickr for example) is the premium end of the range.

To give you an idea on real costs, my set up is the Tacx Vortex Smart. This cost around £220 I have mine set up in the garage and bought a PC to run Zwift (the main requirement is a powerful graphics card) and was able to use an old flat screen TV. An ANT+ dongle to connect the system together (Bluetooth support/connectivity is coming soon we're told) and a USB extension cable to make sure it is range cost around another £25.

You can then go as far as having a dedicated rear wheel with its own cassette and a trainer tyre on (This would be around another £80-100 all in if buying new, cheaper if buying off here/eBay etc.)

I don't. Know how the BKool system works - I presume you need a PC in a similar way?

As Zwift is starting to become more popular (it's just come out of Beta testing) I have set up this thread:-

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/all-things-zwift.194323/

Hope the above answers some of your questions? If not, fire away!

Last edited:

RickB

professional procrastinator
Hi Guys,

First post!

I've decided to get into biking and have bought a road bike through the cycle to work scheme.

Given the weather is terrible and I need to shed some timber I've decided to get a turbo trainer. I've done some research on the net and looked at DC Rainmaker as some suggested on here in a previous post. I'm after something with VR to help pass the time and make it more enjoyable

I've looked so far at BKool and Tacx I-Genesis but I'm confused as to what's better or gives best trade off between capability and cost or if anything else is better

Looking to spend up to £600ish but if cheaper that's better

Appreciate any thoughts or comments

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave :welcome:

I can only really comment from the Bkool side of things.

Zwift is getting good reports but also only has some training options and 2 courses currently. Bkool has a huge range of courses and of course the multiplayer League racing, which is the bit that I use most. For the money you wont beat the Bkool Pro trainer - it isnt faultless, as the software is cumbersome and not very user friendly but I'm well used to it now and dont give it a second thought. It has become a great training tool which I couldn't be without. It has increased my fitness no end as would NEVER push myself as hard on a standalone trainer. The trainer will also work on Zwift if you fancy trying it too.

They also do a 30 day free trial if you fancy trying it out that way - though if you buy from a store by law you have 14 days to return the product if you decide its not for you.

Hope that helps

Rick

MiloSnowe

Another vote for Bkool.
I've tried Zwift and whilst the graphics are nice it's a bit too virtual world for me and there doesn't seem any way to race competitively without a lot of organising. You just turn up and ride with lots of random people. With Bkool there are set distances and races and you can race against real people, bots, or ghosts of yours or others best time. You can also race either on a graphic representation or videos of the route.

If you would have told me 12 months ago that I would be racing hard on a trainer for over an hour or that I would virtually be riding up some of the classic mountain stages of the TDF...

Yes the interface can be a bit clunky but once you get used to it it's fine and as said before the 30 day trial is a bonus.

Yesterday the weather was awful again so I raced up Mont Ventoux against my previous three times and didn't fare too well (my excuse is it took time to get warmed up in the garage where I have it set up!). My previous self left me for dead but I did managed to beat my first ever attempt by a minute and have the results loaded up to my Strava account.
Today my legs are burning after a hard ride that I wouldn't have completed either in real life or on a dumb trainer.

Top Bottom