Best way to drop 12kg of fat = cycling or weight training 3x per week?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

otherself

Fully lugged in.
I'm currently 88kg 5ft10 with 24-25% bodyfat, so i need to drop 12kg to be abut 16% bodyfat. Hope to reach that by December (currently early June 2023). Goal is 12 stone (76kg).

I've looked at Stronglifts 5x5 weight lifting on a calorie deficit (1600 calories per day), i've seen people lose nearly 0.8kg of fat a week doing this. The problem is its for gaining muscle size and strength, which means eating more, not really eating less and weight loss. The program is 3x a week with a day off between workouts, i.e. FRIDAY/SUNDAY/TUESDAY. Each session takes about 50 minutes, which i do have time for.

I have kettlebells (2 x 20kg) and looked at doing 500 squats a day with 1600 calories. I also have a "jump box" to stand off/on while working with kettlebells. Also have a punch bag in the yard (pear bag).

I see other articles that biking will help you lose weight better (cardio), but i assume you'll have to put in 90 miles a week to lose 0.8 kg (3 x 30 mile rides). I simply don't have time for that as cycling takes up more time (probably two hours for a 30 mile ride).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tbh I think you'll struggle - seems to be the consensus that you need calorific excess to build muscle mass; which is the opposite to what's required for weight loss.

IMO / IME weight loss is best tackled through diet - ultimately controlling energy intake. The only thing I've found that works is low carb; which (when I could stick to it) allowed me to lose around 0.5kg/wk. Ultimately I went from a high of 86kg to around 68kg over a period of maybe 2-3yrs doing low carb intermittently.. now life sucks I'm back to around 80kg but do have a bit more upper body muscle mass (however nowhere near enough to account for the extra weight) thanks to doing a limited weights routine whilst eating "normally" (rampantly binging on carbs).

Ultimately it's my understanding that weights will help you gain muscle mass, cardio will aid general fitness and restricted energy intake will help you lose weight. When doing low carb I found my peak energy output was lower (I could lift less / do fewer reps with heavy weights) but my endurance was better (lots of long, slowish rides).

Good luck :smile:

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
I went from 77kg to sub 70kg in the last 18 months with mainly simple weight based work outs almost daily + reducing my calorie intake.

52657822636_952337e2e2_c_d.jpg

Whilst you aren't going to turn into Arine, its perfectly possible to build muscle and loss fat at the same time. This what my arms looked like in 2021 versus now.

52873601084_e750d15068_c_d.jpg

The only equipment I used was some cheap weights from Argos, and following various strength program on the Peloton platform.

52923310434_41fc1b5408_c_d.jpg

I can tell you that strength/weight training alone will not help you drop weight but it will help your muscles to grow err “big” and “strong”.

However before we go any further are you looking to weigh 88kg with 16% bodyfat which means replacing that 10% fat for muscle or losing 10% of your body weight which will be compiled of fat and muscle so that your relevant muscle strength stays the same?

Once you know your aim, you can decide the relevant training.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was doing shrugs with more than 88kg before breakfast...

Dog trousers is right. With bodybuilders 90% of success comes from the kitchen. Your aims may be more modest, but I have little doubt the same rule applies.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I lost about 18 kg (from 93 to 75) in 7 months a few years ago. I was not focused on body fat or muscle, just losing weight and getting fit. I didn’t do any special diet or fad, I simply balanced calories in vs calories out. I used My Fitness Pal to log and track everything I ate and all exercise I did (auto-linked to Strava). This was when I started cycling, so was eating less and doing more.

I didn’t really change what I ate although this became inevitable because I was looking at calories when I chose food so generally ended up with healthier stuff. I still had a beer when I wanted and treats every so often, but offset them with exercise or eating less another time. I didn’t cut anything out nor focus on specific food groups.

Eat less, do more.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Exercise makes you fitter, dieting makes you slimmer. Doing both is a great combination to get in shape.

Edit: IME.

DogmaStu

I went with the basic formula of calories in vs calories out and used a combo of reduced food intake and exercise to achieve my goal.

In January 2019 I weight 86kg. (168m) so on the obese side from years of no exercise. I damaged my knees cycle racing in my 20's/30's.

I saw a physio to work on my knees, bought an e-bike and started doing 50km 6x a week and went to the gym for weights 3x a week.
In addition, I cut back on my calorie intake albeit not hugely, but enough to create a noticeable deficit and used tracking apps.

When I turned 50 in March that year, I weighed 65kg.

3 months using E-bike, Gym, Calorie Deficit to lose 21kg. (25% of my body weight).

2 months later I was on a 29er MTB racing and I've maintained 63-68kg fluctuating since.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I went with the basic formula of calories in vs calories out and used a combo of reduced food intake and exercise to achieve my goal.

In January 2019 I weight 86kg. (168m) so on the obese side from years of no exercise. I damaged my knees cycle racing in my 20's/30's.

I saw a physio to work on my knees, bought an e-bike and started doing 50km 6x a week and went to the gym for weights 3x a week.
In addition, I cut back on my calorie intake albeit not hugely, but enough to create a noticeable deficit and used tracking apps.

3 months using E-bike, Gym, Calorie Deficit to lose 21kg. (25% of my body weight).

2 months later I was on a 29er MTB racing and I've maintained 63-68kg fluctuating since.

Good effort and result!

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill

Inspirational. I guess it's all about motivation

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have lost about 10 kg (over 1.5 stone) in the last year and a half by just paying more attention to what my body is telling me. I like eating and have a big appetite, but I discovered that my dietary needs are significantly less than what that appetite was telling me. Nowadays, a couple of times a week I do informal intermittent fasting - if I don't feel really hungry then I either make do with a light meal or skip the meal altogether.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's no secret that weight loss is all about running an energy deficit; the trick is sticking to it.

I like low / no carb (so Keto, low-sugar, Atkins.. whatever) as it removes the blood sugar spikes that drive the cravings for carb-heavy food. When eating carbs I'm a total slave to the impulse to smash a bag or crisps or bar of chocolate; acting entirely at the whim of my hunger. When off carbs I still recognise the physical sensation of hunger, but can just brush it aside and continue with what I'm doing.

It takes a while to get into and probably attenuates, but doesn't eliminate other motives for binging on dompamine-liberating, high-carb foods; such as tiredness or depression.

Low-carb comes with its own set of issues (foord availability, meal planning, logistics) but so far it's the only means I've managed to use with success to lose weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom