Best Way To Find Cycle Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
The main cycle route from where I live to town dumps cyclists at the pedestrianised shopping precinct. If I want to go to the other side of town I can either walk through precinct until I get to the cycle paths on the other side approximately half a mile away or use the horrible and busy roads.

I asked Google Maps for a cycle route to a location on the other side of town and it says to go the wrong way down a one way street. Looking at street view it doesn't look like I can use the paths there either. The blue signs all point towards the precinct and there are "cyclist dismount" sings everywhere. The map for NCN 45 suggests there's a way through but it isn't clear where to go.

Who's the best person or organisation to ask to get a definitive answer about cycle routes? I'd ask a police officer if I ever saw one in the area.

Contact the local Council

1. They will have a map of routes
2. You can identify a "need" for a through route

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI and move unwanted tabs to just the map/summary tab then resize map to as big as possible by dragging side and bottom bars around. Use 'go to' and type in wherever you want and select Open Cycle Map in the drop down on the Map tab (top rightish) then drag map around to where you want to see. The blue/red routes are cyclepaths that are either local or national - only indicative of a path as they are compiled from crowd source data and plotted manually so it can be wrong - but it is a fair guide. Definitive maps at local council offices, often these are available as a downloadable bike route on council website too.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Contact the local Council

1. They will have a map of routes
2. You can identify a "need" for a through route
I think I'm going to have to do that because... (see below)
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI and move unwanted tabs to just the map/summary tab then resize map to as big as possible by dragging side and bottom bars around. Use 'go to' and type in wherever you want and select Open Cycle Map in the drop down on the Map tab (top rightish) then drag map around to where you want to see. The blue/red routes are cyclepaths that are either local or national - only indicative of a path as they are compiled from crowd source data and plotted manually so it can be wrong - but it is a fair guide. Definitive maps at local council offices, often these are available as a downloadable bike route on council website too.
I found a map on the council's website and it confirms that NCN45 uses some of the worst roads in Swindon town centre. I'm going to get in touch with them and ask for something better. There's no safe way to cycle across Swindon town centre it seems.

Thanks to both of you.

Many years ago.....

We worked with the local Council on cycle facilities.

One of the most informative tools is a felt tip pen

We managed to get the Council to set up a stall for Bike Week in the centre of the market with a big map of the Town

We then asked the public to draw their present cycle routes in black and the route they would take if there were no restrictions in red

The result was a total mess!

However it did highlight areas where (as in your case) there were massive differences between preferred and available routes

We managed to get a lot of the preferred routes changed including a few connecting cycle paths and an "off peak" use of the pedestrianised town centre

Most Councils are well intended and just need someone with a little drive and knowledge to guide them

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
The council here make all the right noises and have given us a lot of off road cycle routes so maybe they'll listen. I'm certainly going to try. I might even suggest they try the thing with the map and the pens.

It's just nuts that the official route is round the one way system, which is two lanes, and they expect cyclists to move to the right hand lane then move to the left hand lane just after traffic, including buses from the bus station, joins from the left. This then takes you along a road that is basically all bus stops.

S.Giles

...cycle route... dumps cyclists at the pedestrianised shopping precinct.

That's a good description of what cycle routes often do. They start by taking you in roughly the direction you want to go, then dump you off somewhere you didn't want to go. It's happened to me many times. Often the only way to re-connect with your intended route is to play chicken crossing a busy dual-carriageway. Heading North on the Humber Bridge towards Beverley is an excellent example of this.

The other problem is cycle paths that suddenly end, dumping you off on an unmarked pavement on the wrong side of a safety barrier - thanks!

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Thanks. That'll be useful. :smile:

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Ah! Thanks for that. That seems to show a lot of journeys being made on some very busy roads, unless they're cycling on the paths.

Top Bottom