Best way to plan a day of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry guys where do I download this file to on my computer, and where do I find the new file folder. On the Garmin. I am useless with technology.

You should have a downloads folder on your computer, have a look for the file in your documents folder.
Open the downloads folder.
With the garmin connected to your computer. open the garmins file. drag and drop the tcx or gpx file from your downloads folder to the new files folder.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Taken from Rwgps site...

OK, SO HOW DO I GET THE FILE ON MY GPS?

To put a TCX or a GPX file on your Edge 800, export the desired file from our site. Once you have the file saved on your computer (remember where you saved it, whether that’s the desktop or downloads folder or wherever), you can transfer it to the Garmin. Every computer is different, but the general idea is that the Edge 800 acts like a USB thumb drive. Plugging it into your computer should allow you to view the files stored on the unit. Once you have it plugged in, open up the “drive” associated with the GPS unit, then open the “Garmin” folder inside the drive. You’ll now see a list of several files/folders. One of the folders is called “NewFiles”. You should copy (drag the icon) the file to this folder. Once done, safely remove the GPS unit. “Safely remove” means follow your systems instructions for removing a USB flash drive. This, on Windows systems, is usually done by clicking the remove hardware icon in the lower right corner of the screen, next to the clock.

Once the file is transferred to the Edge and the Edge is safely removed from the computer, power the device up. You should be able to find your route under the “Courses” menu. From there it should be fairly self explanatory. Please practice navigating a route with something simple, around your neighborhood, and don’t try to do this the first time before a big ride with friends.

Peteaud

Veteran
As @ianrauk above, but i do it slightly different.

My unit is a 205, but i dont think that would matter.

Open and log into ride with GPS

Go to plan

Map the ride and save it, call it something relevant.

Export the file to downloads as a .TCX file DO NOT SAVE AS GPX

The download will go to downloads file,

Create a file in docs called tcx files, for future use / backup

copy and paste the downloaded file, or move it to the TCX file folder.

To send to the Garmin 205

With the 205 switched off, plug in the usb and connect to the pc

Open Garmin Training Center.

Click on the top left “courses” tab

Click file

Click “import to current user account”

Click “courses” from drop down list

Look in “TCX Files” folder

Select file as required & Click “open”

The file is then imported to TC, imported courses.

Hilite the course title (with the file icon to the left)

Click the blue rec with the green arrow facing left (Send to device)

Sending data box appears.

Data is sent to the 205.

(note the 205 is not switched on)

Disconnect the usb

Turn on the 205

Keep pressing mode until menu appears

select training and press enter

select courses and press enter

scroll down and select course, press enter

press enter to start course, use up / down arrows to zoom in / out

Note : In TC you can edit the course left right etc by right click and edit.

END

Kbrook

Veteran
I am getting there, downloaded it to the computer now I just need to find the Garmin on the computer which I can't at the moment. You are all very kind thanks again,

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am getting there, downloaded it to the computer now I just need to find the Garmin on the computer which I can't at the moment. You are all very kind thanks again,

Plug the garmin device into your computer using the usb cable.
A box may pop up with a list of files. You can navigate from there.
If not, go to start, computer, and you should see the garmin as a drive.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Cycling's more complicated than it used to be, isn't it? :laugh: In my 20s, I used to go out on rides around my neighbouring suburbs. If I thought I might get a bit lost, I'd drag out the paper street directory and have a bit of a browse before leaving. As for GPS bike computer... fahgeddaboudit! I just had one of those little trip counters with ratchets located just next to my front wheel's spokes, making little 'click' noises as the wheel turned.

Now I have a Garmin Edge 800, and save all my trip files to my PC, because I just like to keep track of my mileage.

Top Bottom