Best way to replace broken Rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eadmund

Hi,

My Alex Rim XT19 on my Dawes Super galaxy rear wheel appears to have a terminal break (see image) - it also has a wobble :sad:

IMG_20221002_153308[95144].jpg

The rest of the bits spokes, cassett, quick release & hub are all OK. The bike is rideable, but it needs sorting.

The advise I need is should I:
1) Buy a new rim and get someone with the skills to fit it (Evans do this for £50.00, or they used to, and I dont intend to learn...) (plus cost of Rim)?
2) Just buy a new wheel (inc spokes and hub), and swap over the cassett and fit?
3) Somthing else?

If I do buy new (complete wheel or rim), what would be a good alternative to the ALex Rim XT19, as I cant see them for sale anywhere.

Please note this a cycle to work bike (circa 25 miles a day) and not a top end performance bike - reliability trumps performance for my use case & cost is a consideration. I am in Ealing UK, if anyone has any shop or service recomendations in this space.

All help greatly appriciated!

Regards

Eadmund

alicat

Legendary Member
Check the cost of options 1 and 2 and then decide.

When it happened to me, I swapped the spokes over to the new rim. Without those skills, I'll have probably gone for option 2.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should find a LBS and see what options they can offer, new wheel and swap the bits over or new rim and rebuild. Shouldn't be too expensive either way.
Hub might need a rebuild anyway so new wheel might be best option.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
If Evans are charging £50 my guess is that's purely for building but you'd need to ask them. On top of that you may need all new spokes if the new rim diameter is different from the diameter of the one you have. By the time you add build cost + cost of new spokes + cost of new rim you'll be better off getting a new wheel. An alternative would be to find a bike charity like the one where I work and buy a used one. If you're not technically minded then your LBS will sort it all for you. Take your old wheel in and they'll provide a shiny new replacement.

Ajax Bay

Guru
From the tenor of your OP, I'd buy a new wheel and transfer the cassette. Re-rimming is doable and is definitely the COP27 option but you've discounted that option. I'd echo @Big John 's caveats (new rim ERD) and bike charity/recycling recommendation as well, given the bike's purpose.

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm Mr. Lazy so I would just get a new wheel, especially if you need the bike back on the road quickly for commuting.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My LBS charges about £30 I think for a wheel build (plus parts). Maybe £25 I don't remember, and that was a couple of years ago anyway. So, find out how much it would cost, and also check out new wheel costs.

TBH I'd just get a new wheel, but that's just me. If doing that, and if the wheel comes with a freehub then double check you are getting the right one. Things can get a bit tricky ..."this freehub won't take an X speed cassette/you need a spacer" etc. So just be certain you are getting the right one as it is possible to get it wrong and sod's law is always lurking.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Is learning to build a wheel out of the question? I did it for a build I was doing, learnt from a book and just took my time. It’s a skill worth having, not only for full builds but for spoke replacements, wheel truing etc.

The OP needs the bike back on the road for commuting duties.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think there's a good chance that a careful check of all the spoke nipples will reveal a few others with incipient cracks.
With this bike on commuting duties, the quicker a replacement wheel is sourced the better.
LBS for the win, and they'll swap the cassette over too there and then, most likely. If cassette is 9/10sp then care to check freehub is an 8-9-10 or have a 1.85mm spacer for an 11sp hub on the new wheel.

Big John

Guru
I'm guessing the OP isn't from our neck of the woods (Stafford). I happened to be passing the bike charity where I'm a volunteer this morning on my way back from town and they've now dug out a number of our 700c wheels, fronts and rears, and put them in the shop on display. All used and nothing above £30. The rears come with freehubs and even cassettes. Most even had a half decent used tyre on them. If I hadn't got a dozen hanging in my shed I'd have been seriously tempted :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm guessing the OP isn't from our neck of the woods (Stafford). I happened to be passing the bike charity where I'm a volunteer this morning on my way back from town and they've now dug out a number of our 700c wheels, fronts and rears, and put them in the shop on display. All used and nothing above £30. The rears come with freehubs and even cassettes. Most even had a half decent used tyre on them. If I hadn't got a dozen hanging in my shed I'd have been seriously tempted :whistle:

Says he’s in Ealing.

Top Bottom