Best way to secure up and over garage door?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi
as the title says what is the best way to secure a metal up and over door?
there have been a few break ins near us and we are looking at options

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Asec garage door bolts. Take about an hour to fit. Fit near bottom of door and they shoot a bolt into the frame.

I have these plus additional locks on my garage door.

I would also advise on a ground anchor for expensive bikes.

sittingbull

Veteran
Padlocks no more than a foot above the ground securing bolts into the frame are worthwhile and are effective to a degree. If they are towards the top of the door it's possible to bend up the bottom corner. Probably the most effective defence is a scaffold pole at knee height across the full width of the door and shackled at both ends, or hinged at one end, into brick. This is also resistant to ramming.

However the downside to any visual deterrent is it also advertises that it's worth breaking in :banghead:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
+1 on a ground anchor and a Bl**dy big chain & padlock, after all you're not going to have to carry it anywhere.
Sheds and garages are a special target this time of year for mowers, strimmers, hedge trimmers and the like cycles are a bonus, especially shiny ones as the majority of thieves can't tell the difference between a BSO and a quality bike.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
I am after something that doesn't shout out at you but at the same time secures the door a bit better. I will be looking around for a reasonable ground anchor, m/cycle store? screwfix?

but like was said above, too much visible security hints at stuff inside..

what;s the view on alarms?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you have a second door to the garage bolts can be fitted to the inside of an up "n" over door. Alarms are good if you're in but how many times when an alarm goes off do people just curse and ignore it. and "security" lights are a waste of electricity.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
was thinking of loud alarm and strobes (would be good at night)..
will put the feelers out about replacing the rear door with a proper door.

BSRU

A Human Being
If you have a second door to the garage bolts can be fitted to the inside of an up "n" over door. Alarms are good if you're in but how many times when an alarm goes off do people just curse and ignore it. and "security" lights are a waste of electricity.
If you have an external siren inside the garage/shed, when it goes off you do not want to spend too much time in there, it's painful.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you have an external siren inside the garage/shed, when it goes off you do not want to spend too much time in there, it's painful.
Had'nt thought of that, I was thinking of those garage alarms that are sold. It would need to be one that resets though unless you have ignorant neighbours you wish to annoy.

Sara_H

Guru
God knows how he's done it, but my OH has completely disabled our garage door. If he dies before me I'll never be able to get in again.

I can hire him out to disable other peoples garages for a fee?

Top Bottom