Better bought than homemade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I think that the key with pastry is patience. Make it the day before, put it in an airtight container and put that in the fridge for a day and it comes out lovely and springy. However most people who know more about cooking than I ever will scoff at the idea and think that this is way too long.
Pastry making involves voodoo. My mum and sister both make pastry and have loads of rules eg hand temperature for getting it just right. They look down on me for using the bought stuff but I genuinely can't tell the difference. Pastry definitely falls into the "life's just too short" category

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you post a recipe, I'll happily give it a go...but yet to be convinced!
The thing is not to try with Pastes and 'Cook In' sauces but to use real spices and then experience is what is needed, different 'Curries' call for different techniques and cooking methods and you need to know exactly when to add which ingredient. Chillies for example come in many different 'heats' and flavours so saying "finely chop 2 Chillies" can have a vastly different effect depending on the variety used. :evil:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Pastry making involves voodoo. My mum and sister both make pastry and have loads of rules eg hand temperature for getting it just right. They look down on me for using the bought stuff but I genuinely can't tell the difference. Pastry definitely falls into the "life's just too short" category

I use a mixing machine and put the blades in the freezer before use. Advantage is that it is quick and consistent. No doubt many aficionados would scoff greatly at such gross cheating and complain about the heat generated, but works for me.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
If you post a recipe, I'll happily give it a go...but yet to be convinced!
This is the book at the moment. It also comes in app form

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Curries.

The fine differences of regional Indian cuisine and aromatic herbs and spices are lost on me.

Medium meat curry and boiled rice is my simple taste for Anglo-Indian cuisine.

The microwaveable ones from the shop are just as good as anything I've ever made or had in a restaurant.

They vary a little, my latest find is Chicken Tikka Massala from Spar.

A genuine treat, and no social distancing queues to get one at my local outlet.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
How about thai red or masaman or penang?
What I like a little bit of good quality paste and some coconut milk always gives great and replicable results

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'd like to have a go at making my own, you can get them in the shops here but they are a bit pricey and a bit meh! Could you post your recipe,please
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/crumpets

Smudge

Veteran
Even Matt Tebbutt, supposedly a chef, couldn't make crumpets on Food Unwrapped. He made a right mess of it, so they went to the factory to see how they are made.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There seems to be some controversy regarding the recipe in the comments section, do you follow the recipe as written or have you modified it in some way, as suggested by some of the reviewers?
As written, I cant see the comment on an iPhone.

dodgy

The microwaveable ones from the shop are just as good as anything I've ever made or had in a restaurant.

You must have been in some truly terrible Indian restaurants. That is just inconceivable, we have the supermarket ones sometimes, they're ok as a TV dinner but not even in the same league as a proper 'sit down' experience in a restaurant.

Top Bottom