Better fold for a Dahon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill

This week I went by train to look around Sutton Park in outer Birmingham as the last time I went was in 1957 when the scout jamboree was on! I put my Dahon cycle onto the train then folded it...I had room to do this as it was mid-day and the train was near empty. I don't bother to fold it right down, I just fold it in half and loop a strap over the truss attached to the bracket welded to the head tube. This stop's the fold coming apart. I know the fold is not as small as the Brompton one but this variation can be done in around 10 seconds flat! I also went there to fettle the comfort setting of my Hobson Easy seat 2 split seat saddle. The saddle is now really comfortable. I was also (for the first time) wearing a Hernia truss recently purchased. Due to the gap in the middle of the saddle the truss was invisible as far as comfort was concerned....The gods can only know the situation would be if I had been on a Brookes saddle as there is a strap on the truss that goes under one's leg and up the rear of the leg to my waist. A good ride around the park even if it was rather hot. The 20" wheels seem to ride very well over wonkey ground.

TrishE

Über Member
I'm on the train now with my dahon built badged dawes, maybe should call it a dahodawes, I've had it a week and I love it. It's very solid with the 20 inch wheels with Bonnie running (and I mean running) alongside on a cycling/jogging lead. I fold it completely doesn't take long but the other day I folded it leaving the seat up and handlebars ready to go and it travelled fine. Have had lots of positive comments about it.

In the week I've had it it's been everywhere with me :smile:
IMG-20160909-WA0006.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member

View: https://youtu.be/X0k0Uy5aqVc

Yes, it's rather clever.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well. That's the first Dahon I've seen that I'd try and buy.
I'm rather impressed by the Qix.
The Dawes looks very like the Decathlon folder I got from @User of this parish. I wonder if it's a Dahon under the paint?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And the fact that they are just so expensive, probably because they are made in the UK. If they did a Dyson I'm sure the price would drop dramatically.

Last edited:

TrishE

Über Member
I've seen that the Brompton folds smaller but not so good to ride with the small wheels and the dahons are good to ride but don't fold as small. As I want to ride and not carry it about mostly the dahodawes suits me well it's lovely lightweight with the alu frame and has dynamo lighting etc. Dawes don't seem to have replaced the Ace with anything with the same spec the dahon qix being near.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, it's horses for courses I guess so you choose what suits you. Dahon (and others) always seem to be continually developing new models, something that Brompton don't, sticking with the same thing year on year. If they'd have been in the mobile phone market they wouldn't have survived!

Top Bottom