Better fold for a Dahon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TrishE

Über Member
Yes, it's horses for courses I guess so you choose what suits you. Dahon (and others) always seem to be continually developing new models, something that Brompton don't, sticking with the same thing year on year. If they'd have been in the mobile phone market they wouldn't have survived!
Yes true hadn't thought of it like that :laugh::bicycle:

Kell

Veteran
Yeah, there are definitely things they could do to improve.

Altering the fold so it's possible to wheel the bike long rather than carry it would be good.

Disc brakes would be another.

A bigger spread of gears on the internal hub so you don't have to faff about with chain pushers.

Bromptons are by no means perfect, but both my Dahons cost more than my Brompton in real terms. Because the frames on both failed - rendering the bikes worthless. And at £800 for the model that I got, Dahons aren't exactly cheap either.

I certainly wouldn't buy another.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd be interested to know if both your Dahons failed at the same point. I'm favouring a Dahon at the moment due to price and those small wheels on the Brompton.

TrishE

Über Member
Googling it I found dahon did a recall in 2009 of three of their 2008 models maybe it was a bad year for production using not so good materials etc.

Kell

Veteran
I'd be interested to know if both your Dahons failed at the same point. I'm favouring a Dahon at the moment due to price and those small wheels on the Brompton.

Not at exactly the same point, but both on the seat tube.

Both were Dahon Matrix bikes. One was a 2008 model, with the big hinge, and one was the 2009 model with the lockjaw system.So I guess the stress points were in different places.

This is a current Espresso, but has the same 2008 model frame design:

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq4xBns8OVEHR5j3GrtZh1TGIclmdrSf93k6Ikb5TU779ZYW7KgrIloVY_zQITpC2aMmkqHBc&usqp=CAE.jpg

And this was the Lockjaw version.

08_Dahon_Matrix_I_1024x7681024x768.jpg

What I didn't realise, and no one at Evans even mentioned it when I ordered my bike, is that there is a weight limit to them of 95kgs.

Now, I'm a little over that on my own. Add in a rucksack with a change of clothes for work, a lock, tools, and a camelback with two or three litres of water, and I'd probably be over by a considerable margin. So maybe it was material related and maybe it was 'user error' but I only found out about the weight limit after the problems.

Looking at your profile picture, it doesn't look like you'd be anywhere near that.

I'd just do some googling to see if quality's improved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill

Bill

I sent this message in to talk about a alternative fold I use as compared to the full fold on my Dahon Vitesse. The subject seems to have been lost?hijacked and now its a general moan about Dahon! For what its worth my cycle is still going strong after three years. I grease the hinges with white grease. I would not mind owning a Brompton but I believe the purchase price is mostly 'mark-up' which makes the bike too expensive! The joy of my bike is that I can fit the Brompton bags onto the bike at two points plus my Oritleb panniers go on the Dahon 'touring rack' without touching the floor or my heels

Salar

A fish out of water
Well my Dawes Jack, also supposed to be a re badged Dahon, slightly lower spec than the Ace and Kingpin has done me proud for the last few years and I'm no lightweight.

The one problem I had was the high gearing, only being six speed so I fitted a Shimano Megarange freewheel, problem solved.

It does what I want it for.

I store it in one of those big multi coloured laundry bags with a zip and handles that you can pick up on ebay for approx £3.00.
No need for a fancy bag just yet, whose going to pinch my laundry.:smile:

Top Bottom