Better for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im just beginning to start commuting to work and am going to be getting a new bike on the cycle2work scheme.

Ive had a look at a number of bikes and ive narrowed my choices down to the Specialized Allez and the Specialized Sirrus.

My route to work is 10 miles and is pretty flat apart from one fairly steep hill.

Which do you all think would be the better bike for my commute?

Thanks

See what feels best to you. For me initially I was drawn towards the sirrus as I liked it versatility, could take rack, mudguards and I thought incorrectly IMO that an upright position was better for traffic.

oliglynn

Über Member
I'm looking to do something similar - I currently ride hybrid (Trek 7.3fx) and am looking at either an allez or secteur elite on c2w.

If you are new to riding on the roads then a hybrid will be easier and more familiar riding position, and will go a lot faster than the old mountain bike you used to ride... however I find after having my hybrid for over a year, I feel the need to get down under the wind and go faster, so want a roadie now!

I liked the look of the sirrus as its a similar riding position to my mountain bike, however i have recently fitted shwalbe city jets on my mountain bike and tightened the suspension etc so its more like a hybrid so i kind of fancy the allez now as i want that extra bit of speed!

oliver

i have a 2010 allez sport and the frame has the mounting points for a rack ans most mudguads will fit- best bike i have ever ridden as it is great all round

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'd go for the Allez - drops are much better in traffic. More hand positions, more comfort, take up less room than flat bars, and more aerodynamic so slightly faster.

oliver said:
i have a 2010 allez sport and the frame has the mounting points for a rack ans most mudguads will fit- best bike i have ever ridden as it is great all round

BentMikey said:
I'd go for the Allez - drops are much better in traffic. More hand positions, more comfort, take up less room than flat bars, and more aerodynamic so slightly faster.

I've not seen the new allez yet but if it can take guards and a rack and based on my experience of flats and drops (which agrees with BM); I'd go with the allez.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The Sirrus is also very good though! Providing the bike fits you well, then you'll be fine with either.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Liamblink182 said:
I liked the look of the sirrus as its a similar riding position to my mountain bike, however i have recently fitted shwalbe city jets on my mountain bike and tightened the suspension etc so its more like a hybrid so i kind of fancy the allez now as i want that extra bit of speed!

Liam...I've ridden a MTB to workf or a year now (a fair distance each ride) ..also with slicks and also with tightened front shocks to ride a little more like a hybrid, although... the gears are still standard so I spin out a fair bit on the down hill (or...I'm proud to say, the really flat windless sections.)

If I were to get another ride, it would be a fixed (or poss a single speed) or a road bike. everything else is just to similar to what i have and wouldnt "expand" my riding vocabulary, so why bother (imo)

GFamily

Über Member
Catrike UK said:
Originally Posted by theclaud
I wondered why they seem more interested in killing badgers than in redistributing wealthmore versatile.

I wonder why you (from Kent) are posting a political comment about Welsh Nationalist (Plaid Cymru) policies.

Top Bottom