Better SPD shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

22point8

I'm on the lookout for some new spd shoes.

My current shoes are Shimano RT33. I've had them 18 months and I'm finding them annoying.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shi...3t7fAhWHTBUIHQdWAL4Q_AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=657

They use 2 velcro straps and have a thin tongue. They are size 43 or 27.3cm, in Adidas I'm a UK 9, EU 43.3 or JP 27.5cm. In most brands I've found the 27.5cm size to be best.

If I wear thin socks I have to do them up a bit too tight to stop them from squeaking constantly, with thick socks they don't squeak and are more confortable, but medium socks they are a nightmare to get right. To be clear its the uppers of the shoe that squeak, not the cleat pedal interface.

After almost exactly 1 hour my toes on the right foot go numb, prevents me from riding more than 1hr 45 minutes.

From day 1 they clip-clop because there is only 1.5mm depth to the cleat.

I have to get my bike out the the garage in trainers, then change to the SPD shoes because they are too annoying and noisy to walk in and would probably wear they cleats down. Most of the riding I do is on rough paved terrain like smashed up industrial land rippled paving or gravel/hardpack (Along the Thames, south of the river Erith to Greenwich if anyone is familiar).

I'm looking for some SPD shoes with a deep enough cleat recess to avoid clip-clop a soft tongue and probably laces for a more adjustable fit.

My pedals are Shimano M530.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have a look at the Gore offerings although they do come up narrow. Or something like a Specilaized Tahoe. Best bet I'd say would be to go to one of the large London Evans or Cyclesurgery branches for a decent choice. Shoes are such a personal thing, yiu just need to try on as many as you can

vickster

Legendary Member
The mtb ones I tried on had the stiffest hardest tongue of any shoes I've tried and dug into my very high instep. They went straight back!

My Specialized Sonoma meet all criteria other than laces (but there's plenty of adjustment in the Velcro). Now an old model unfortunately but they do come up on eBay. I've walked hundreds of miles in mine with no clippety clop and no wearing of metal cleats

Katherine

Guru
The Decathlon mtb shoes might be worth a look . They are chunky but they are the only ones I've found that don't give me toe pain.

IMG_20190108_195711020_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20190108_195659558_PORTRAIT.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm on the lookout for some new spd shoes.

My current shoes are Shimano RT33. I've had them 18 months and I'm finding them annoying.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shi...3t7fAhWHTBUIHQdWAL4Q_AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=657

They use 2 velcro straps and have a thin tongue. They are size 43 or 27.3cm, in Adidas I'm a UK 9, EU 43.3 or JP 27.5cm. In most brands I've found the 27.5cm size to be best.

If I wear thin socks I have to do them up a bit too tight to stop them from squeaking constantly, with thick socks they don't squeak and are more confortable, but medium socks they are a nightmare to get right. To be clear its the uppers of the shoe that squeak, not the cleat pedal interface.

After almost exactly 1 hour my toes on the right foot go numb, prevents me from riding more than 1hr 45 minutes.

From day 1 they clip-clop because there is only 1.5mm depth to the cleat.

I have to get my bike out the the garage in trainers, then change to the SPD shoes because they are too annoying and noisy to walk in and would probably wear they cleats down. Most of the riding I do is on rough paved terrain like smashed up industrial land rippled paving or gravel/hardpack (Along the Thames, south of the river Erith to Greenwich if anyone is familiar).

I'm looking for some SPD shoes with a deep enough cleat recess to avoid clip-clop a soft tongue and probably laces for a more adjustable fit.

My pedals are Shimano M530.

Crc have a fantastic £60 Helcat deal

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...18_footwear&icb=bspot2-b-week52_2018_footwear

Levo-Lon

Guru
Or you could buy these
Comfy warm and just like shoes, cleats dont crunch

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carnac-mtb-commuter-shoe-spd-or-flat-9-43.242809/

OP
OP

22point8

Just an update, I went to Decathlon and got some Shimano MT34 in size 44 near the end of January.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mt34-mountain-bike-cycling-shoes-id_8299758.html

They are more walkable, but take some time to 'warm up' otherwise the upper is too stiff and bashes toes as I walk to the garage to get the bike out, and need laces re-tightened afterwards, but everything is fine after that. They do seem to have a bit more float, at first I thought my SH-56 cleats were worn out so I switched to some barely used SH-51 I had and experienced the same float.

I had to use a different cleat position too, closer to the middle, whereas before they were far back. I'm not keen on the metal loops for the top 2 rows of laces, they can scratch crankarms if not careful and if the top row is used you can feel them dig into the sides of ankles.

Anyway they are more comfortable and more consistent fitting.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Northwave products are good and worth a look at

The Decathlon mtb shoes might be worth a look . They are chunky but they are the only ones I've found that don't give me toe pain.

View attachment 446292 View attachment 446293
Interesting,
I have tried the decathlon shoes and found them too tight across the toe box even going one size up , last year my mum gave me some cash for my 50thand i went for northwave and i have never looked back as they for me have been the comfiest shoes i have ever worn for cycling so much so i stumped up for another pair to keep me going for a while .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
last year my mum gave me some cash for my 50thand i went for northwave and i have never looked back as they for me have been the comfiest shoes i have ever worn for cycling so much so i stumped up for another pair to keep me going for a while .

I bought a 2nd hand pr of Northwave winter boots last year as i was fed up of trying to find a decent set of overshoes , i am well impressed with them and i know what i shall replace them with when they need replacing

Top Bottom