# between Average rider power and trainer power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdcadillac

Hello all,
when browsing available trainers in the market I found out that the more they get expensive the more they have high wattage. (from 800 to 2000)
I did a google search and found out that the average cyclist power is 200-300 (400 for pro)
what is the difference between the 2 metrics?
Thank you

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
average power versus max power, if you doing high intensity intervals your going to be pushing out big watts .Pros put out 1500 ish on a sprint and track sprinters even more they reckon Hoy used to make 2200 or 27 watts per kg

If you are a big rider be careful that the cheap turbo's may be no use to you. My partner uses a very basic cyclops mag turbo which is fine for her as she is a tiny woman and now a very occasional user . I am a small oldish bloke ( 67kgs) and the resistance is not enough even for me. It is impossible for me to do a drill that calls for say 268 watts at 60rpm , or a max sprint of over 700 watts at say 110 rpm there is just not enough resistance.
I think its only rated at 400 watts.
I use a Elite Axion ( bought secondhand) which was probably near a grand new. rated at 1200 watts at 40 km/h
it can bring me to a standstill as its resistance is so high. So beware if you are a big guy and say can hit 1500 watts ( I can hit 1000 on real roads less on a turbo more like 790 and i am old and small) you might still need a turbo rated more so you can do the low cadence high power drills, you need that high resistance to push against, also standing drills may need a high resistance.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

average power versus max power, if you doing high intensity intervals your going to be pushing out big watts .Pros put out 1500 ish on a sprint and track sprinters even more they reckon Hoy used to make 2200 or 27 watts per kg
Thank you now I get it :smile:

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

If you are a big rider be careful that the cheap turbo's may be no use to you. My partner uses a very basic cyclops mag turbo which is fine for her as she is a tiny woman and now a very occasional user . I am a small oldish bloke ( 67kgs) and the resistance is not enough even for me. It is impossible for me to do a drill that calls for say 268 watts at 60rpm , or a max sprint of over 700 watts at say 110 rpm there is just not enough resistance.
I think its only rated at 400 watts.
I use a Elite Axion ( bought secondhand) which was probably near a grand new. rated at 1200 watts at 40 km/h
it can bring me to a standstill as its resistance is so high. So beware if you are a big guy and say can hit 1500 watts ( I can hit 1000 on real roads less on a turbo more like 790 and i am old and small) you might still need a turbo rated more so you can do the low cadence high power drills, you need that high resistance to push against, also standing drills may need a high resistance.
Thank you for your explanation I never measured my power but in spinning class I was putting a good energy. I will try to find a use one as so far there is only few new (cyclops M2 & elite high end wheel on)

Top Bottom