Between sizes - which way to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My Roubaix and it fits like a glove. Funny really because my Cube and Allez are 54 and comfortable too. Must be down to geometry.
20190815_154710.jpg
20190815_154727.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
I am 6ft 1inch (ish and shrinking), I prefer a 60cm saddle tube CT, so I can have the saddle lower and the bars not too low. I have long arms, so I presume the longer top tube helps me stretch my long arms. I did ride a 56cm on a few 50mile rides this year and felt cramped. Maybe, I will try a 58cm in the shop when I'm next visiting.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Didn't get to Evans today to try a 56 vs 58... rain and wind too heavy to cycle there.
Maybe tomorrow.

I am 6ft 1inch (ish and shrinking), I prefer a 60cm saddle tube CT, so I can have the saddle lower and the bars not too low. I have long arms, so I presume the longer top tube helps me stretch my long arms. I did ride a 56cm on a few 50mile rides this year and felt cramped. Maybe, I will try a 58cm in the shop when I'm next visiting.

Yeah, despite what others have said I am a little concerned a 56 could feel a bit cramped.
My usual bike (a 5 or 6 year old Genesis Croix de Fer - before there were many different CDF models) fits me fine (at least on paper) but on longer rides I sometimes do feel a little cramped in my torso and find that I stretch out over the top of the hoods... at least it's more aero that way! Saddle height is spot-on (although the BB sometimes feels a little high to me), and I've tried moving the saddle back, chaining angle a little etc but it doesn't feel so great on my legs if I do that. Maybe I need to try a longer stem on that bike... still, hoping whatever I get next fixes that issue!

Last edited:

flan48

I have a Rubaix Expert on which I got a great deal. I'm 5'6" and theoretically should have a 52. However, the 54 seemed pretty much OK other than standover wherein the top tube is just about touching me "down there". However, When coming to a stop sign, for example, with both feet on the ground and the bike tilted one way or another, I do of course have plenty of room between top tube and nether region.
While actual riding seemed quite comfortable, I did change the original 100 mm stem to an 80 mm. That made it even better!

I'm now considering another change to a 60 mm stem just to take a little more pressure from my neck. I'll talk to my LBS and get his opinion.

Best regards

Top Bottom