Beware distressing pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I hope that guy makes a speedy recovery and isn't put off cycling again.
The roads now are a danger to cyclists these days and not just because of maniac drivers.
The front of my bars were forced an inch down thanks to hitting a pothole this morning and I have the bolts on the stem pretty damn tight.
Time something was done about it. :angry:

lane

Veteran
New government policy today - in future work by utility companies they must first see if they can dig the pavement up or grass verge rather than the road in order to prevent dealays to motor vehicles and more potholes. Not sure this is the best policy. It will probably also include prioritising digging up cycle paths to prevent delays to motor traffic.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5229762, member: 9609"]
might he have stayed on if bike hadn't failed ?[/QUOTE]
Quite possibly. We can only speculate.

Terrible injuries. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Milzy

Guru
Us roadies trade off heavy safety gear for other gains. A full face MTB helmet would have saved his face but they’re just not practical for road cycling. I’ve noticed a few massive pot holes around here lately. Some bigger than that one. :sad:

Slick

Guru
It is a risk we all take. Most could probably point the finger at my example as my own fault, but it's amazing just how quickly you can get caught out. On a commute ride a couple of months ago it was still dark and raining. On a long slow left hand bend I could feel the cars getting closer as they were desperate to pass. I don't usually pull in tight at thus bit but there is room and as it was dark you could tell there was nothing on coming. I ran through a puddle and hit the inevitable pot hole which sent a huge bone shake through my whole body. My front wheel buckled badly but at least I managed to stay on.

I hope the guy in the picture recovers fully soon.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But i didnt think it was road tax :headshake:
You might but millions of other fools think it is. :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But i didnt think it was road tax :headshake:
There is currently no weight element to any motor vehicle taxes IIRC. There probably should be, else we'll all need to pay more council and income tax, which people push back against and the roads go to hell, plus there's insufficient incentive to use lighter vehicles.

But my main point is that refusing to replace the carpet you just burned is not "underinvestment" - it's vandalism and that's what motorists are doing to the roads.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is currently no weight element to any motor vehicle taxes IIRC. There probably should be, else we'll all need to pay more council and income tax, which people push back against and the roads go to hell, plus there's insufficient incentive to use lighter vehicles.

But my main point is that refusing to replace the carpet you just burned is not "underinvestment" - it's vandalism and that's what motorists are doing to the roads.
In fact Electric Vehicles will be heavier in order to get a decent range out of em.

Slick

Guru

I get your main point but when your talking about commercials it's all about weight when it comes to tax. It's been a while but IIRC it may be measured in axles but more of them = more weight anyway. I don't think they do as much damage as the weather does either.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I get your main point but when your talking about commercials it's all about weight when it comes to tax. It's been a while but IIRC it may be measured in axles but more of them = more weight anyway. I don't think they do as much damage as the weather does either.
I thought the weight element was on the trailer tax not the motor vehicle tax but looking again, I think there may be a weight element as well as mainly an axle one.

Given that many cycle-only routes last years between minor repairs unless they were built on the cheap (and even then some survive without potholes), I don't feel that weather can do the damage without heavy vehicles applying the pressure. It ain't the winter, but the motoring lobby has been pretty successful at pointing the finger at the weather.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Roads which used to be properly repaired now get "throw and roll" patching at best. We live in a small village, without HGVs, and relatively low traffic counts. Some holes are being re-repaired after being patched only a few weeks ago. The edges are unsealed, even to the untrained eye, and it's screamingly obvious it's a bodge which won't last.

Put simply, least-cost methods are clearly being used, and freeze-thaw has had a field day over this last winter as a result. I can only imagine the levels of claims at the moment.

Top Bottom