Beware: Indonesian online bike sales scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon Jones

Hi All

I was recently caught out by a 'company' in Indonesia who looked to be a real online retailer offering really good prices. As soon as I paid for the bike though they became very difficult to contact. No one answers the phone number supplied either. Needless to say after several weeks I have not received my bike.

The site in question is www.focus-cycles.com contact Surya Saputra.
There are several other sites which are either identical or similar all of which have the same 'whois' data including

www.idmasterbikes.com
www.fave-bike.com
www.idbikestore.com

So just thought I would warn anyone else who is considering buying a bike from an online Indonesian retailer.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Did you pay by credit card? The loss would be down to them. If you used PayPal you could easily get your money back.

Herr-B

Don't have to click one, I use Web of Trust (WOT) and if I Google one of the sites (idbikestore) it shows me a red ring next to it - hovering over that brings up a quick review. (Ignore the green tick - that's McAfee's Site Advisor failing in its duty, but I use both because sometimes WOT isn't correct either, both green are usually ok)

lew6.jpg

As you can see the second on the list is a good site and is someone complaining of the same, maybe a bit of research by the OP would've saved this hassle and money.

OP
OP
S

Simon Jones

Sadly although they mention credit card and paypal on their website. When it comes to actual payment they want a wire transfer.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When will people ever learn. If sounds too good to be true it probably is. Just like the American down here I came across recently buying gold for 75% of the market price. Unlike the op he would probably have ended up robbed and beaten up, or worse.

akb

Veteran
Did you actually use the wire transfer offer? How much did you lose out on?

markharry66

Über Member
have you done a who is on the domain to find out who owns the domain may give you their home address you could then contact the local police

Top Bottom