Beware - Strava etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
Break into the house and discover the rider is at home and get the living shoot kicked out of you before getting nicked and bummed by bubba for the next few years .

Check his strava, he does the local crits. Out most Sundays. And long club rides at regular times...all open to public view.

Worse case situation is some scum works out when this fellow is mostly out, risks it, only to find more vulnerable members of the cyclists family in, who are not able to kick the living shoot out of a cornered thief desperately trying to avoid a few years of bumming by bubba.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I took a ride out to my friends house and labelled that ride as "home" (nice of me, eh?). I also don't list my bikes on Strava, and use the privacy function.

Beyond that the overwhelming majority of bikes are still nicked because Johnny Scumbag has seen it, knows it's there.

siadwell

Guru
I've mentioned before that you can set up multiple privacy zones in Strava, based on postcodes or street names, so that you end up covering much more than the 100m or so that a single privacy zone will cover.
However, I found a reference yesterday on another forum to a "known" bug with this functionality in Strava. Apparently, you can set up multiple zones in this way and everything looks fine when you view them yourself, but sometimes only the last one you created will be effective for other users.

We got a chap in the previous club before I moved who lives by Strava. Anyone mentioning bike theft with Strava will get a lecture and its quite hilarious and the baiting never ends.

I've mentioned before that you can set up multiple privacy zones in Strava, based on postcodes or street names, so that you end up covering much more than the 100m or so that a single privacy zone will cover.
However, I found a reference yesterday on another forum to a "known" bug with this functionality in Strava. Apparently, you can set up multiple zones in this way and everything looks fine when you view them yourself, but sometimes only the last one you created will be effective for other users.
The bug is when you have 2 (or more) privacy zones and your ride starts in one, leaves it, enters the next one, then returns to the original/possible 3rd zone. At this point the bug kicks in no privacy zones are shown at all on your ride to anyone.

It's a problem for me because I usually just pause my Garmin when i arrive at my parents home or college and continue the ride when I leave to return home. The result is that I've taken the privacy zone off my parents home (it's like fort Knox anyhow) and pause my just prior to getting to their home.

(The alternative is to record it as 2 rides but I don't want to do that)

That said, I only list my bikes as road bike, old road bike, mountain bike, tourer and I also don't have my privacy zone set to my postcode, but the centre of the village with a 500m radius.

Top Bottom