BH, Ghost and Ribble!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
I am currently looking for a new road bike and have been mightily impressed with a few regards looks, components, spec and price.

BH Bikes Made in Spain (not some Asian country, like most other 'top' brands are)

http://www.bhbikes.com/en/familia/racing

Ghost Race: A German company.

http://www.ghost-bikes.com/2012/bikes-2012/road-racing/

Ribble. A UK company.

http://ribblecycles.co.uk/

I am looking in the £800-1200 price bracket. I would ideally like a Shimano 105 groupset as I'm not prepared to pay £££'s more for Ultegra or Dura Ace, I don't think they'd make much noticeable difference compared to 105.

The whole Aluminium Vs. Carbon thing continues to come up, but I think I'm going to stick to Aluminium?!?!?!

Does anyone have any experience (pros/cons) with any of the bike brands I've mentioned above?

Thanks in advance...

Are you sure? Because I read an article once here that most bikes are built in the Far East. So I looked at Ribble and BH and found those articles below.

Ribble's carbon frames are made in the Far East

BH are Designed in Spain, made in Asia and assembled at BH USA

Im not implying that as a negative at all, just saying that sometimes manufacturers can be misleading with the tag made in...

I dont have any personal experience with the 3 brands you mentioned, just read a few negative comments about Ribble customer service but nothing about the bike itself and the Sportivo Bianco has very good reviews.

Have you thought of Cube? You can get the 2012 Peloton Race with Ultegra / 105 for RRP £999 or even £799 (if you are prepared to 'play' the retailer) OR the 2011 Cube Streamer with Ultegra @ £859.00, bargain! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Thank you for the links, xxmimixx :smile: I stand corrected! I had read somewhere that BH bikes were designed AND made in Spain. These manufacturers are definitely misleading, right across the board.

I like the look of Cube bikes. The latest Peloton Race looks like a great deal, as is the Streamer.

So, so many choices :blush:

Muttley

I bought a Ribble Audax last year and have been very pleased with it. I have only covered 1500 miles in the last 12 months but they have been problem-free.
I tried the Ribble bike build online but it never tells you the weight of your bike!
I know It's not mega important but what's the point of upgrading the parts and not knowing the difference!

Nearly there

Veteran
Speaking of Ribble bike build how do you know what your bike looks like once youve selected wheels tyres bar tape seat etc is it guess work?

I tried the Ribble bike build online but it never tells you the weight of your bike!
I know It's not mega important but what's the point of upgrading the parts and not knowing the difference!

In my case, I didn't think there would be such a difference in component weights that it would have made any significant difference to my 'performance' :blush: (you noticed my forum name, didn't you? :laugh: )

Speaking of Ribble bike build how do you know what your bike looks like once youve selected wheels tyres bar tape seat etc is it guess work?

Yes, I suppose it is, really. When I picked mine up I was pleasantly surprised to see silver-grey mudguards had been fitted instead of black, which was what I was expecting. When I asked about it the guy said the builders tend to match the colour of the groupset.

here another useful link for you weight weenies :giggle:

jay clock

Massive member
There seems to be a suggestion that Asian made bikes are less good in some way. My guess is that 99%+ of UK bikes sold are physically manufactured there. And that certainly applies to much of my bike fleet. In fact I am not even certain where my bikes are made, nor do I care. But in what way does Asian=bad? ALL my bikes have Shimano kit on (made in Asia) and I love the Asian quality of it. I just bought some Asian Dura Ace wheels which are beautiful and beautifully made

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Does a spesh Allez or Secteur not tempt you?

£1200 gets either with 105, and the concept srtore is round the back of fort dunlop or another is in stafford.

Allez http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/12Allez/Allez

Secteur http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/12Secteur/Secteur

I didn't even know there was a Specialized shop near Fort Dunlop. I may have to take a look over the weekend. I've never really considered Specialized, to be perfectly honest. Thanks for the links, Paul :thumbsup:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
There seems to be a suggestion that Asian made bikes are less good in some way. My guess is that 99%+ of UK bikes sold are physically manufactured there. And that certainly applies to much of my bike fleet. In fact I am not even certain where my bikes are made, nor do I care. But in what way does Asian=bad? ALL my bikes have Shimano kit on (made in Asia) and I love the Asian quality of it. I just bought some Asian Dura Ace wheels which are beautiful and beautifully made

You're probably correct in the fact that 99% of bikes, or more, are made in Asia. I was just stating in my post that it was a rare occurrence that the bikes I mentioned were European made. Looks like I was wrong, tho :smile:

Top Bottom