Ribble R872

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommohawk

Does anyone have this bike? Looking into possibly getting a “better” bike than my current Giant Contend SL1 disc 2021.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's a carbon frame and similar components. You lose 800gms which is a fair amount.

Going from a alu to carbon bike will feel somewhat different but nothing like as much as you might think.

Bigger jump imho between standard mod and high mod carbon or straight gauge steel Vs butted steel.

Lighter wheels make a bigger difference esp to stock wheels, but light disc wheels are expensive tbh.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Does anyone have this bike? Looking into possibly getting a “better” bike than my current Giant Contend SL1 disc 2021.

What do you expect to be better? Other than the frame, what's the same/different? A tyre / wheel upgrade may be a better choice

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Which I guess no longer applies as the notice to strike off and dissolve the company was dated 03/01/23 and gave a time limit of 2 months (03/03/23) and, to the best of my knowledge, Ribble are still going strong.

More the delays people have experienced friend of mine was 18 months

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Your current Giant has pretty much the same quality components as the Ribble. The latter is lighter, but that's about it; if you don't feel the difference between riding with full water bottles and empty water bottles - you won't feel it between these two bikes. The wheels on both can only be described as 'basic' - just there to keep the bike upright.

Being in your shoes, if I had ~£1.5k to spend, I'd buy a mid-range wheelset (Wiggle Prime are good value, ~£600), spend the rest on a much lighter frame (good quality Chinese, like Trifox, ~£600) and swap over the remaining components from the Giant - if you can't do it yourself you can take it to a bike shop and they'll do the job, and still be within budget. Anything left over - I'd get a nicer saddle or handlebars for improved comfort, or better quality tyres and tubes combo. You'll get much, much, much more for your money and the end result will be a light and slippery bike that's proper fast, and better build quality than anything that Giant or Ribble did in the past two decades.

Last edited:
Yes it's a very similar bike tbh.

Is anything wrong with your current bike ? I'd get some 28mm GP5000S and lightweight latex tubes and a good track pump as you'll need to keep them topped up. You'll notice the difference with those.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes it's a very similar bike tbh.

Is anything wrong with your current bike ? I'd get some 28mm GP5000S and lightweight latex tubes and a good track pump as you'll need to keep them topped up. You'll notice the difference with those.

Save your self £75 and get some Vittoria robinos for £12 each!!

You will notice quite a difference going to carbon - a lot lighter - smoother ride (trust me I ride both)

There was a rumour some time back that the R872 comes from the same mould as the de Rosa idol - a bike which in its time got rave reviews.

Gp5000 are a great tyre - but they can be a blighter to get on and off - which is why I go for the pirelli p zero.

Get it ordered, ridden and enjoy !

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Dolan l'etape any good? Looking at a potential "summer bike."

My Giant is being upgraded with the new wheels and tyres.

Top Bottom