B'ham to Oxford ride - 6th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caz

A question about the B'ham to Oxford ride - 6th July

Has anyone done this ride before? I'm considering doing it this year, although I've never ridden this type of distance before :blush:. What I want to know is how difficult/easy is it and is anyone going to do it? It would be great to do a ride like this with so many other people doing it too. With the back up that is available it would boost my confidence to do a similar ride in the future.

redfox

Haven't heard of this ride, have you got a link?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi caz

Looks a nice route.

few weekends ago we had the Classic Oxford ride which a few pals of mine entered who had never covered 60+ miles before, we even cycled to and from the start so they actually did 80 miles!
Their training and equipment was not huge to be honest but they got around in respectable style. The secret is to build up some miles before the event, you should get a few 40 milers in for good practice.
On the day, be prepared, eat and drink early and often, take a few short stops and go your own pace, don't be tempted to set-off too fast. Riding in the company of other cyclists really spurs you on.

Should be a breeze!

OP
OP
caz

caz

Thanks for the encouragement FF. I've managed a few rides of about 35 to 37 miles, and was intending on going at a slower pace, having already read this sound advice given to others doing longer rides than normal on the forum! I'm hoping to do it with a friend, but he's faster than me. I hope he won't mind going at my pace.

Is anyone else doing this ride? It would be nice to meet up and put faces to names.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I did this last year Caz and it's a fun ride!

You ride for the most part on country roads with very little traffic and everything is well martialed, hills are easily ridden and there are two or three tea/cake stops on route and plenty of pubs for you to enjoy too. . It does get hairy when you get in to Oxford though as you join the throng of motorists and have to take your chances.

If you get stuck mechanically Roy's bikes of Studley (?) are on route to help with monor repairs. Most people will however stop to help you if they are that way inclined - and most are!

I fully recommend the bus back, though you will have to wait a while at Solihull 6th form college for your bike afterwards but they do take good care of your bike so nothing to worry about there.

For me, front door to Oxford came to around 80 miles and I didn't feel it too much the next day.

Top Bottom