BHF ~ London to Brighton 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Who's on it and who's ready to go?
:smile:

I'm No. 11,682 with an 07:00 start time.

There's six of us on the ride, with three riding from Northampton to London on Saturday and staying overnight in Battersea and t'other three driving down on Sunday morning and meeting at the start line. I'm also expecting to see, but probably not ride with, a bunch of folks from my last job.
My daughter, her fella and my granddaughter are meeting me at the finish line, which will be great on Fathers Day. Fish and chips on the pier, I reckon!
So far, the plan is that two of us are riding back home on Monday but we have contingency plans in case we decide not to...

:rolleyes:

Cyclist Leon

Advice/opinions please, I'm supposed to be doing the London to Brighton (64 mile) this Sunday. Up until two weeks ago I was training everyday and doing 15-20 mile rides with the 20 milers being twice a week. Then I was knocked off my bike by a car and have not trained in two weeks, my question is this- "do you think I'll be fit enough on Sunday to complete the 64 mile ride"??? I done it in a group last year but this year I'm doing it on my own. Thanks guys

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Advice/opinions please, I'm supposed to be doing the London to Brighton (64 mile) this Sunday. Up until two weeks ago I was training everyday and doing 15-20 mile rides with the 20 milers being twice a week. Then I was knocked off my bike by a car and have not trained in two weeks, my question is this- "do you think I'll be fit enough on Sunday to complete the 64 mile ride"??? I done it in a group last year but this year I'm doing it on my own. Thanks guys

Why are you asking again when you asked and got replies in THIS thread.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Yep. 54 miles... unless you get lost! (Which is hard to do with 26,999 other riders to follow!)

AnneW

Über Member
OH and I are doing it - can't remember our numbers but think they were in the 28 thousands (in fact I really need to find them!!) and we have a set off time of 8.30am. I'm not built for speed so will pootle along with the crowd, listening to my iPod and get to Brighton at some point. I'll just be happy to finish :training:

We're staying in London the night before, so only have a few miles to cycle to the start and then we have 10 miles to cycle to the hotel at the end.

I've cycled in that area before, on the way to Paris, but not up the Beacon - that looks tough to a little fat cyclist like me, but I'll give it a try :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OH and I are doing it - can't remember our numbers but think they were in the 28 thousands (in fact I really need to find them!!) and we have a set off time of 8.30am. I'm not built for speed so will pootle along with the crowd, listening to my iPod and get to Brighton at some point. I'll just be happy to finish :training:

We're staying in London the night before, so only have a few miles to cycle to the start and then we have 10 miles to cycle to the hotel at the end.

I've cycled in that area before, on the way to Paris, but not up the Beacon - that looks tough to a little fat cyclist like me, but I'll give it a try :smile:

there are so many cyclists walking on the Beacon that you will be very lucky if you are able to cycle up it.

AnneW

Über Member
I've not done this one before, just Manchester to Blackpool which is about 10K people, I think. At least I won't be walking up the hill alone, lol.

If I do walk, I will keep to one side, nothing worse than someone breaking your stride on a hill - my hill starts are rubbish. OH will no doubt meet me at the top.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

There's usually a couple of ice cream vans at the top of the Beacon if you need to cool down before the final run to the seafront finish line..

^_^

AnneW

Über Member
there are so many cyclists walking on the Beacon that you will be very lucky if you are able to cycle up it.

ianrauk you were right! In fact it was so busy that on one hill (Church Hill I think) no-one got to cycle!! I felt really sorry for those who could've cycled it in a good time, as everyone had to gt off and push :sad: And that was after being stationary in Tooting because of a traffic jam (unattended bus on the other side of the road). It took well over an hour to complete the first 6 miles......

It was fun, glad we did it, but we won't be doing it again.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ianrauk you were right! In fact it was so busy that on one hill (Church Hill I think) no-one got to cycle!! I felt really sorry for those who could've cycled it in a good time, as everyone had to gt off and push :sad: And that was after being stationary in Tooting because of a traffic jam (unattended bus on the other side of the road). It took well over an hour to complete the first 6 miles......

It's just far too busy. By many thousand's, to be 100% safe. There were a couple of nasty accidents this year with many more minor ones.

It's about time they restricted the numbers who partake to more manageable numbers.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Another possibility would to run it like the London Marathon. Fastest on the 06:00 to 07:30 start times and fun riders on later starts. I had an 07:00 start and did 4 hrs 18 mins because of the London hold ups mainly but managed to get to Turners Hill and Ditching before they totally clogged up.

In general though, I enjoyed the day ( plus my rides either side of it!) and will be doing it next year, hopefully.

It took us about 2 hours to ride to the Greyhound (about 8 miles in) due to the amount of traffic in and before Tooting. :sad:

Top Bottom