Bianchi Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phyllosc

I am considering buying a new Bianchi but still pondering over which model. For me, I quite like the idea of an Intenso as it leans toward 'comfort' over speed. But then I impressed by the Sempre Pro as it kinda implies the same - a racing bike with a nod towards comfort. I know the folk who write marketing copy would want them to appeal to all tastes but I'd be grateful if anyone out there in CycleChat land could share their experience or knowledge of things Bianchi.

As for my kind of riding I want to start road racing - I'll be a novice, a very slow novice! - and the odd 10 mile TT. General riding and training will be limited to a few hours at time and I might do the odd sportive but not too many over the 100 mile mark.

Perhaps I should also mention that I'm no youngster, having celebrated my 52 birthday. I am a returnee to cycling after a too many years away and do a have a little back trouble in the form of occasional sciatica, for which cycling is a great help. And if it helps, I can touch my toes!

Onyer

I tried out a Bianchi Infinito CV, with Ultegra and disc brakes on Monday. A very nice bike! But does it warrant the £4,200 price tag? Not in my opinion. The same frame with Campag Chorus (equivalent to Shimano Dura Ace) is £4,100 but only very average wheelset (Fulcrum racing Quattro). So not on my list anymore. This comment is probably no help to you, but I thought you might be interested.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have an Ultegra equipped Sempre Pro that I bought last August @Phyllosc. It was to replace my Giant Defy 1 as the best bike. I still use the Defy over the poorer weather.

I like the Defy, but I absolutely love the Sempre Pro! Awesome bike in comparison!

Unfortunately, I have not ridden any other of the Bianchi range to compare it to. If I compare to the Defy, it is a fair bit more racy, but still within the realms of most riders tbh. It's not all our race bred, like the blurb.

In speed terms, it's way faster than the Defy too. So much more direct in its power transfer. More comfortable on the bumps and noticeably smoother and lighter.

Mine came from www.bianchistore.de. It was on sale for €2,150 plus €80 shipping. All in it came to £1,760 with no import duty or VAT to pay as already in the price in Germany. So a £600 saving for me. Great bunch of guys to deal with too and very helpful on sizing and general advice.

I already had Campag Zonda's so using those on the Bianchi and the Fulcrum 7's are on the Defy. The wheels were the weakest link and you will find this on many bike at this price level. I can live with that just to get the Sempre Pro frame, which is truly amazing.

Instead of me going on and on, just ask if there's anything specific you wish to know.

Cue the sacrilegious comments about running Shimano on a Bianchi...:smile:

I tried out a Bianchi Infinito CV, with Ultegra and disc brakes on Monday. A very nice bike! But does it warrant the £4,200 price tag? Not in my opinion. The same frame with Campag Chorus (equivalent to Shimano Dura Ace) is £4,100 but only very average wheelset (Fulcrum racing Quattro). So not on my list anymore. This comment is probably no help to you, but I thought you might be interested.

Well here's my Infinito CV, with its 'very average wheelset' :rolleyes:. I've got the chorus groupy. Was it worth the 4100 quid? Absobloodylutely.

image.jpg

Onyer

Mine came from www.bianchistore.de. It was on sale for €2,150 plus €80 shipping. All in it came to £1,760 with no import duty or VAT to pay as already in the price in Germany. So a £600 saving for me. Great bunch of guys to deal with too and very helpful on sizing and general advice.
The Infinito would be about £500 cheaper from these guys! Well worth having a look for the Intenso. Good link

I am a genuine OAP and very happy with the comfort of the ride on my Sempre. It is very direct at delivering power and a very stiff frame. The Infinito is a different weave, which is said to help with "buzz" absorbing. In my view there is very little buzz anyway. I doubt you would notice a huge difference between the Sempre Pro (Shimano) and the Campagnolo fuelled versions. You would notice a difference with a lesser bike!

bpsmith

Veteran
That's £2,282 after shipping and conversion!

One thing that you can get stung on is if you use your credit card. Some charge an overseas transaction fee. Others an admin fee. Check before ordering.

Wow. At the current exchange rate (about 75p to the Euro) that comes out at about £2250. Plenty of cheap flights to Munich as well, and 7Kg doesn't make much of a dent in your baggage allowance.

Can you get a return flight for under €80 then? Result.
I wasn't thinking so much about the cost. I was thinking you might want to try for size etc. Munich airport is some way from the city anyway, so you would end up spending money on hire-cars, trains or taxis. The station is right under the airport, so you might be able to save on it. Don't know.

Just tried vaguely to order one in 47 (just in case Mrs A fancied an upgrade). Odd things happen when you make choices, mostly that the price jumps back up to 4999 when you select anything. Might be just a glitch. She has just looked over my shoulder and said "Don't be silly, It's the wrong colour."

bpsmith

Veteran
I wasn't thinking so much about the cost. I was thinking you might want to try for size etc. Munich airport is some way from the city anyway, so you would end up spending money on hire-cars, trains or taxis. The station is right under the airport, so you might be able to save on it. Don't know.
All great points. I trusted the advice given by Erik via email and it's all fitting perfectly. You soon get a feel for genuine advice, if you ask the right questions. Credit card purchase so fully covered if didn't pan out.

bpsmith

Veteran
Just tried vaguely to order one in 47 (just in case Mrs A fancied an upgrade). Odd things happen when you make choices, mostly that the price jumps back up to 4999 when you select anything. Might be just a glitch. She has just looked over my shoulder and said "Don't be silly, It's the wrong colour."
Weird that! Must be s glitch as all options go to full price. I had no issue with mine when ordering.

Big Nick

I have a Bianchi Vertigo with Veloce and its a very comfortable bike for my advancing years but if you're only want it for 10 mile TT's not really the bike for you!

I love Bianchi's, something different in a sea of Japanese manufacturers

Top Bottom