Bianchi Aria Disc 105 Hydraulic (leave eTap behind?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
I currently have a 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo, Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels and SRAM Red eTap. Carbon sworks handlebars and carbon stem. Its a great bike, light, stiff and I get on with it well.

I've been offered a really good deal on a brand new, Bianchi Aria 105 Hydraulic disc brake bike.
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bi...Vlcx3Ch01pQJ9EAQYASABEgJNLvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rather than the £2000+ price tag, its being offered at £1300. (i know where its coming from and isn't stolen, fwiw)
I cant afford to keep both bikes, but im unsure about going from eTap to 105 :sad:

I dont race so i dont need split second shifting but i'll admit I am tempted.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The colour alone puts me off.

If you are happy with your Cannondale then I don't see the need to swap.

Kajjal

Guru
Only a test ride would really show you. I have 105 on my bike bought this year and it seems fine to me , better than the previous 105 but it does depend what you prefer and what you compare it to.

tom73

Guru
I've 105 works fine for me but i've not really had anything higher to compare it to.
Only a ride will let you know if it's for you.

Slick

Guru
I currently have a 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo, Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels and SRAM Red eTap. Carbon sworks handlebars and carbon stem. Its a great bike, light, stiff and I get on with it well.

I've been offered a really good deal on a brand new, Bianchi Aria 105 Hydraulic disc brake bike.
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bi...Vlcx3Ch01pQJ9EAQYASABEgJNLvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rather than the £2000+ price tag, its being offered at £1300. (i know where its coming from and isn't stolen, fwiw)
I cant afford to keep both bikes, but im unsure about going from eTap to 105 :sad:

I dont race so i dont need split second shifting but i'll admit I am tempted.
I don't think I would ever swap a bike I like for one I'm not sure off. Add, maybe but definitely not swap and definitely not a comfortable cannonball. I gave mine away at the weekend, and it was a bit of a wrench despite being nowhere near yours.

Cavalol

Guru
Can't offer any practical help, but by God that Bianchi is nice looking and the only colour to have one in.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You will miss the eTap, particularly on a long ride, but you will adjust. Plenty of people switch between electronic gearing for their summer bike and mechanical on their winter bike without a problem. I suspect you will be too distracted by the great hydraulic braking to get too upset.

Having said that - is there a real need to change?

RegG

Über Member
The Bianchi is a superb bike and the colour is classic - not like any other and far better than black! - and the 105 groupset could always be upgraded at a later date to Di2 or similar. Go for it, you won't be disappointed!

Your Cannondale sounds like a very fine bike indeed, but once you get the Bianchi itch then nothing is going to stop you from scratching it. Logically, the Cannondale is better equipped than the Bianchi. Nothing wrong with 105, but there is better. The disc brakes (in my very biased view) add extra weight for no good reason, but they are popular at present. Handling wise, the bikes are very similar. What attracts (and since we have six Bianchis in our house at present, this includes my wife and I) is the panache, history and sheer class of the brand. That funny colour some are dismissive of, is called celeste (say "chelesty") and has been Bianchi's corporate colour since 1885. This is the world's oldest bike brand in continuous production and has a cult following. Ride a Bianchi and you are riding in the tyre tracks of the great: Coppi, Pantani, Gimondi. And Bianchi are still competing at the top today. Have a look at Bianchi Owners Club on Facebook and sense the enthusiasm. Doesn't appeal to everyone, and it is a heart thing rather than a cerebral choice, but once the Bianchi has taken your fancy it is hard to resist. Your Cannondale is a very good bike. Is the Bianchi Aria significantly better? Probably not. Are you in love with the Bianchi.....

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Can't offer any practical help, but by God that Bianchi is nice looking and the only colour to have one in.

Nah, disc brakes are all wrong on a Bianchi. It's like putting a roof rack on Lamborghini.

And it really ought to have Campag.

Something like this

Only 16 grand too, a proper bargain.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Your Cannondale sounds like a very fine bike indeed, but once you get the Bianchi itch then nothing is going to stop you from scratching it. Logically, the Cannondale is better equipped than the Bianchi. Nothing wrong with 105, but there is better. The disc brakes (in my very biased view) add extra weight for no good reason, but they are popular at present.
The good reason is that hydraulic brakes are miles better than rim brakes. Period.

Top Bottom