Bianchi Sempre 105 or Ribble build your own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Phillips

Hi, I need some help. I am looking at buying a new carbon road bike and can't decide between a heavily discounted Bianchi Sempre 105 or a build your own Ribble frame.

Due to the shop selling the Bianchi not supporting my company's cycle to work programme I will have to buy it for cash where as the Ribble would be available through Cyclescheme but not until October.

The Bianchi should be c.£2k but is down to c.£1350 and I would be happy to spend a similar amount on the Ribble.

Am I being crazy not going for the Bianchi or am I being wooed by the beautiful design?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

AndyRM

XOXO
I spent a similar amount on my Ribble Evo Pro. I've not had a chance to put serious miles in yet, but early set up rides have me grinning like a lunatic. Lovely bike. Smooth, responsive and a thing of beauty!

AndyRM

XOXO
If memory serves it was just over two weeks. The only frustrating thing was actually getting the bike! They use Royal Mail as a courier and they won't just take it to your local office as they have a weird rule where a package has to fit onto a shelf in their storage area... In the end a neighbour took delivery of it for me. Fortunately he's a cyclist as well so didn't mind a massive box taking over his hall for an afternoon!

I went for the Campagnolo Centaur and the deep profile wheels. Looks (and rides) like a dream!

gbb

Legendary Member
Faced a similar choice a few months ago, Bianchi Impulso (alloy frame of course) Veloce or Ribble carbon.
Bianchi negatives...Its a 105 mix, with FSA cranks and BB30. BB30s been getting some poor reports, don't know if it applies to this particular setup.
That's it as far as negatives. The R500 wheelset is moderately heavy, but they're good strong wheels. Bianchi's always look nice, cant think of anything else really.

For £1350 from Ribble, you could look at say the Sportive Racing. Nowhere near as good looking, but you get a full groupset (mine has full Veloce, no FSA mix).
Carbon bars, carbon stem, perhaps Fulcrum 5 wheels (they're considerably lighter than the R500s), full 105 groupset, the onlly thing i regret getting was the cheap saddle, theyre not as comfortable as the Ponzas on bianchi's (IMO)

Its all a trade off. I was a tad dissapointed with the looks of the Sportive out of the box (pictues online dont really compare with seeing a bike in real life)...but its grown on me quite quickly. Its NOT as good looking, but it performs well. I'm happy i have a full groupset, the FSA cranks and BB on my old Bianchi were its weak spot, but that may not apply to the Gossamer/BB30.

Obviously i'm talking anout the Sportive, there are other Ribble choices.
Its a tough choice, head went with the Ribble, heart with the Bianchi. For me the Ribble won in the end, I'm happy with my choice, but it still isnt as good looking as the Bianchi, which i slightly regret.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Faced a similar choice a few months ago, Bianchi Impulso (alloy frame of course) Veloce or Ribble carbon.
Bianchi negatives...Its a 105 mix, with FSA cranks and BB30. BB30s been getting some poor reports, don't know if it applies to this particular setup.

The reason you get a "mix" is because Shimano are stubborn and refuse to support the bb30 bottom bracket type (at least they did when I last went searching for info on a crankset for my CAAD9). If you want to run Shimano kit, you need to install adapters, another interface, another source of annoying issues and potential creaks (and it is also a permanent addition on some frames, once installed, it can not be removed without compromising the frame) etc and you kind of negate some of the benefits. As a result you tend to get a bb30 compatible crankset like the FSA crankset (not read any reviews on this particular crankset, but there are other options out there, inc SRAM), so that you get to benefit from the more advanced frame design. As for bb30 getting poor reports, never really read any myself, but then again, I haven't gone looking either. However, theoretically bb30 is a superior design (stiffer and potentially lighter) and it is catching on with most manufacturers and tends to feature on higher end frames.

gbb

Legendary Member
The reason you get a "mix" is because Shimano are stubborn and refuse to support the bb30 bottom bracket type (at least they did when I last went searching for info on a crankset for my CAAD9). If you want to run Shimano kit, you need to install adapters, another interface, another source of annoying issues and potential creaks (and it is also a permanent addition on some frames, once installed, it can not be removed without compromising the frame) etc and you kind of negate some of the benefits. As a result you tend to get a bb30 compatible crankset like the FSA crankset (not read any reviews on this particular crankset, but there are other options out there, inc SRAM), so that you get to benefit from the more advanced frame design. As for bb30 getting poor reports, never really read any myself, but then again, I haven't gone looking either. However, theoretically bb30 is a superior design (stiffer and potentially lighter) and it is catching on with most manufacturers and tends to feature on higher end frames.
Very interesting, i didnt know all that, thanks...:thumbsup:

As for bb30 getting poor reports, never really read any myself, but then again, I haven't gone looking either. However, theoretically bb30 is a superior design (stiffer and potentially lighter) and it is catching on with most manufacturers and tends to feature on higher end frames.
Just Google BB30 creaking/issues/bearing etc Rob when you've nowt better to do. Loads of issues out there I'm afraid.

The problem seems to stem from the very tight tolerances that BB30 works in, hence the slightest speck of shite and you've got issues. I got sick of stripping, cleaning and greasing mine, (it's a doddle to strip though to be fair), but I've now converted mine to Hollowtech II. A couple of months later I've not had any issues like I did with BB30.

Cannondale designed the system, and loads of frame manufacturers have now jumped on the band wagon, sadly IMO.

Shimano now do a similar system as well. My mate's Scott F01L has inboard bearings, but it's not BB30, it's Shimano's own system and he's not had any issues upto now.

IMO BB30 is fine for what it was initially designed for, pro riders whose bikes are rebuilt after after stage/race, and who will get the benefit of the slightly reduced weight and slightly stiffer set up that BB30 purports to offer.

BB30, the answer to a problem that never existed :tongue:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just Google BB30 creaking/issues/bearing etc Rob when you've nowt better to do. Loads of issues out there I'm afraid.

Will do some time. It's not that I don't believe it to be the case, just I haven't seen any comments other than your's (both of mine have been fine so far) and I haven't actively gone looking for complaints, I am sure that plenty do exist though, as they do with most things, particularly new things :tongue:

Top Bottom