Bianchi upgrade!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Whilst my current Oltre XR3 disc has only done 1700 miles from new last year I recently found myself in a position to be able to swap the frameset for that of an Oltre XR4 disc for minimal outlay using the cycle to work scheme. With kids on the horizon and a potential house move brewing the situation was unlikely to come around again in the foreseeable future so I've grabbed it with both hands and wrestled it to the floor :laugh:

I've discussed it at length with the lbs, filled in the forms and am now awaiting approval from work - in the meantime I have a difficult decision to make regarding colourschemes :laugh: I'll be going for a Tavolozza frameset where you get to configure the colours from some presets. There are a few thousand possible combinations but a lot of the colours are pretty grim and easy to rule out :laugh: My current XR3 disc is graphite with fluro celeste detailing and a matt finish which I really like so I'll probably aim for something similar. I'll be transferring the orange Hope brakes and other bits and pieces over on to the new frameset so I can't have anything too clashy :wacko: Here's the XR3:

So for the XR4 I'm thinking of swapping the colours around and using graphite as the detail colour, and also swapping the fluro celeste for the classic celeste...

I've got a little while to decide but the situation reminds me a bit of when we first got Sky TV - we didn't know what to watch because the choice was too big :laugh: I am however sure that I'm not keen on the two standard colour options as they're both a gloss finish. Which is a shame, as that would have saved me some money :laugh:

Exciting times!

Both are really nice looking bikes, the 2nd one though is stunning and i love the classic colours on it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Always good to see a rider who can have high end kit.

The OP already has a newish version of the next model down, so I wonder if he will notice much benefit from the upgrade.

I doubt I could tell the difference, but that's irrelevant and I can grasp that some riders could.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So what's the claimed improvement between the current bike and the intended new one? Apart from a different colour scheme I doubt I would notice any difference at all!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
On second thoughts i think the Oltre XR4 CV is a terrible choice, not jealous at all:whistle::whistle::whistle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S45kEyZSBRc

That thing is:wub::wub::wub:

Thanks for sharing the vid, I hadn't seen that one before :okay: Interestingly they've swapped the wheels for the ones I've got on the XR3 which will be transferred across :okay::laugh:

I've decided on the colour scheme and received the cycle scheme voucher :okay: All that is left now is to decide on the bar/stem dimensions, order it and wait ~12 weeks for them to make, paint and deliver it :becool: Here's the colourscheme I've gone for - very similar to the one above, except I've swapped the black bianchi logo for graphite to match the seat tube and forks :okay:

Obviously it'll look a little less classy once I've bolted my orange Hope brake calipers on, but I do like my builds to be a little different :laugh:

Always good to see a rider who can have high end kit.

The OP already has a newish version of the next model down, so I wonder if he will notice much benefit from the upgrade.

I doubt I could tell the difference, but that's irrelevant and I can grasp that some riders could.

The XR3 is a fabulous bike, no doubt about it. I expect the main difference I will notice has nothing to do with my (very average) riding ability but more my weight - I'm not your average build for a road cyclist and 90kg would be me at my leanest, I'm over 100 at the moment. I get a bit of flex around the bottom bracket when I'm accelerating out of the saddle - not much, but enough to get the chain to rub on the front mech every so often. I've tried to adjust it out but as soon as it stops rubbing on one pedal stroke, it rubs on the other side on the next one :laugh: Anyway if it fixes that, which I suspect it will, I'll be a happy chap :smile:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
So what's the claimed improvement between the current bike and the intended new one? Apart from a different colour scheme I doubt I would notice any difference at all!

I doubt you would too John. It's a silly purchase which makes very little financial sense or otherwise.

I'm pretty excited about it though :okay:

avsd

Guru
I think this is a 'want' rather than 'need' thread :laugh:. I am looking forward to seeing the build evolve. Standard of finish on previous projects have been excellent to read about.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I am looking forward to seeing the build evolve. Standard of finish on previous projects have been excellent to read about.

The most expensive carbon machinery money can buy will never come near the aesthetic qualities of a nicely painted vintage steel frame. They aren't in the same league. Matt blacks & greys look particularly uninspiring, I think of them as unfinished primer coats,TBH

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I get a bit of flex around the bottom bracket when I'm accelerating out of the saddle - not much, but enough to get the chain to rub on the front mech every so often. I've tried to adjust it out but as soon as it stops rubbing on one pedal stroke, it rubs on the other side on the next one :laugh: Anyway if it fixes that, which I suspect it will, I'll be a happy chap

I had the same problem on the last two front derailer bikes I had.

It was annoying, so if your new frame doesn't do it I can see the benefit, albeit at a high cost.

Top Bottom