Bib shorts - views on these planet X jobbies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXP...273514545&mc_cid=6dd2211949&mc_eid=50209ebaed

Had always shunned the things until recently - just used normal waist padded bottoms and they seemed fine - no experiences of them falling off downwards.

I think I was also just put off by Freddie Mercury visions.

So as yet have never felt the need.

More recently it occurred to me that the top bit could optionally be covered with a normalish cycling top.

Do you really need the bib bit?

Views on those Planet X things in particular welcomed.

edited for typo.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I much prefer the bib - far more comfortable.

nickAKA

Über Member
Speaking as a man of a certain age, the bib part has the welcome advantage of flattening out the bulges around my torso... This obviously makes me more aero :laugh:
At this time of year I'm normally wearing 3 layers on top so nobody is any the wiser as to what exactly I'm wearing, but like I care. I guess the bib also helps keep the pad in the correct place too so less chance of chafing if you're looking to justify them on a common sense level.
As regards the planet X bibs, I have some 3/4 knickers which fit ok but I've never worn them on the bikeso cannot comment on the comfort...
My only advice is to buy the best shorts you can justify the spend on, for long hours in the saddle they're definitely worth the investment, but bear in mind that what suits one person won't necessarily suit you.

steverob

Guru
I can't comment on the Planet X bibs, but I did have similar feelings to you towards bib shorts/tights at one point. When I started to get back into cycling seriously after a long absence (2013), I tried a pair of bib shorts and really did not get on with them, so stayed with just regular cycle shorts. And as I never had a problem with the pad slipping that people keep on mentioning as a "pro" for bib shorts, I've stuck with them ever since (especially Decathlon's 900 series).

But when I started riding more in the winter, I found problems with cycling tights where they did start to slide down - the pad stayed in the right place, but the waist band was always dropping, giving whoever was riding behind me a dose of builders crack if I didn't adjust every 10 miles or so!

Decided to try a pair of bib tights and found that these I did get on better with than I did with bib shorts, so they are now my go to in cold weather. Having siad that, when I'm wearing them, I've normally got a long sleeve undershirt on, then the bib on top of that, then a normal cycling jersey on that, quite often topped off by a jacket, which is probably not how you're meant to wear them (think the bib is probably meant to go on skin?)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
As regards the planet X bibs, I have some 3/4 knickers which fit ok but I've never worn them on the bikeso cannot comment on the comfort....

many thanks for the reply nick but am somewhat intrigued by that comment.

What DO you wear them for? Cocktail party leaning against a bar/bedroom pre-diving?

nickAKA

Über Member
many thanks for the reply nick but am somewhat intrigued by that comment.

What DO you wear them for? Cocktail party leaning against a bar/bedroom pre-diving?

:laugh:

I've just never found the correct weather to wear them in... part 2 of the buyers guide to bib shorts - buy shorts & leg warmers, and don't get suckered in by special offers :laugh:

TonySJ

Regular
Ive got 2 pairs of the 365's and for the money they are OK but being relatively New to cycling I have never have bought a top line pair of bib shorts so cant compare them to the expensive stuff. Done rides upto 112 miles in them and they were fine, would never say comfy as I find at that distance fatigue in those areas starts to cause some discomfort but nothing that slowed me down etc.
You can get them cheaper occasionally as I seem to think mine were around £20 or cheaper..They could have been on offer for 2 pairs maybe..
T.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I wouldn’t wear anything other than bibs and own several pairs. The Planet X ones are good and well worth the bargain price. My better bibs are Gore Bikewear, Chapeau and Specialized RBX although that extra quality and comfort comes at a price.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bibs are good. I bought a pair of Planet X 3/4 length and they seemed well-made for the price but I found the legs too constrictive so I would suggest going up at least one size from what you think you need, unless you have very skinny legs.

Toilet breaks can be a pain, especially in winter when you'd potentially have multiple layers to remove to get the straps off. Not great if you are in a desperate hurry ... :whistle:

There are some bibshorts (especially those designed for women) which have unclippable straps to alleviate the latter problem.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
you suggesting wearing womens' underwear colin?

I stress that ontopic replies are still welcome.

edit: the male toilet break point is well on topic and very real world.

for men do have a certain advantage on that point and I would be loathe to relinquish it.

Replies on that point also (very much) welcome.

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
I've got the Planet X 3/4's, perfect fit, have used them most of this winter as it's been pretty mild.

As for Bibs or shorts, it's bibs all the way, they're just much more comfortable and decent. There is no worse sight than that of some geezers crack in front of you when they're on the drops!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I got some, there ok, you will struggle to hide yourself, and the wife will laugh uncontrollably but good when on the bike, just hope you dont need to thumb a ride home:laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
edit: the male toilet break point is well on topic and very real world.

for men do have a certain advantage on that point and I would be loathe to relinquish it.
Peeing probably still wouldn't a big problem for most men.

I had a near miss on a forum ride though when desperately hanging on with a dodgy tummy for a cafe stop and then struggling to get my upper garments off in the cafe toilet.

These days, I only wear my top layer over the straps so there would only be item to remove. In winter, I wear my base layer and jersey under the straps, and just the jacket over. It is still pretty comfortable.

Speaking of comfort - has it been mentioned that not having a tight waistband makes bibs much more comfortable for anyone who does not have a slim waist?

Top Bottom