Bib shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

Pretty new to road cycling and have increased distances lately so I’ve had a few issues with sores etc.

Been using chamois crème which has helped but I want to invest in a decent pair of bib shorts with good pad for 4 hours plus in the saddle.

I have a pair of Altura which aren’t up to it for longer stuff. Also have a pair of DHB which are better but wanted to get some opinions on here.

Not sure I want to stretch to rapha as they seem very expensive for my budget.

I’m 5’9” and 70kg and usually a size M or S depending

Opinions welcome!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bib shorts are a fairly individual choice, but personally I like Castelli. I am fairly lanky 6'3 and 80 kg and wear a large in Castelli where I get away with a medium in other brands.
The one thing I would say is good fit is mega important you don't want something that creases or moves too much. The shorts should be like a second skin.

13 rider

Guru
I use Le col brand ,expensive yes . I always enter there Strava challenges to get £50 discount codes to make them less expensive . They suit me and have been using them for over 3 years and original pair still going strong

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Its horses for courses really. What's good for one is not necessarily good for another. I have DHB shorts and can comfortably do an all day ride no problem.

I mainly swear by Shutt VR, super comfy for me.

Last edited:

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Pretty new to road cycling and have increased distances lately so I’ve had a few issues with sores etc.

Been using chamois crème which has helped but I want to invest in a decent pair of bib shorts with good pad for 4 hours plus in the saddle.

I have a pair of Altura which aren’t up to it for longer stuff. Also have a pair of DHB which are better but wanted to get some opinions on here.

Not sure I want to stretch to rapha as they seem very expensive for my budget.

I’m 5’9” and 70kg and usually a size M or S depending

Opinions welcome!

I am 5'7" and 70kg, so slightly chunkier. Been cycling 4 years. Best value for bib shorts I have found so far are GORE. Also recently tried Castelli Aero race as they are on offer at Merlin,but not so sure about them as quite a different shape. Did 5 hours without creme and I had also changed my saddle - got a bit of chafing (only noticed afterwards). Castelli come up a bit smaller but get the best reviews. DHB seem fine for shorter rides.

You'll find that everyone has a different opinion and it's very individual (like chain line, disc vs. rim brakes, bike geometry). And sometimes the only way of knowing is to go out for a long ride in them. Saddle, bike fit and riding geometry also impacts. Wife thinks Rapha are best, she commutes >70 miles a week

YellowV2

Veteran
Personally I find ASSOS to be the best. Yes they are expensive but the quality and fit are great, I wear medium at 178cm and 66kg. As others have said though it’s very personal, you may find it’s the time in the saddle as much as the shorts that’s causing the problems.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Assos seem to have the comfiest pad for me so far.

SuffolkBlue

My choice is Assos Mille GT and Endura Pro SL (choice of pad sizes) for distance riding. I've got some DHB for day to day which I've had for ages and still going strong.

However, consider getting a proper bike fit done which will also look at your choice of saddle. When I eventually got one done after many cycling years, it dramatically improved my cycling experience. I was reading an article the other day which suggested that simply getting a correct foot/cleat position and a good shoe fit can reduce pressure on the perineal area by up to 50%. Bike fits can be expensive but probably outweighed by the multiple £s spent on shorts that don't suit you?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm 6'4" and North of 120kg, so I buy pretty much the cheapest on the basis that the foam pads of even the best gear will be hammered to uselessness in fairly short order.

Be careful with bike fit. The main systems, in detail at least, contradict each other somewhat in detail and they can't all be right, can they?

It's not unheard of for top flight pro riders to ignore some elements of the bike fit and set the seat height that they prefer on the basis that there is little point having super-efficiency if its painfully uncomfortable after a while (Lance the Junkie and 'call me Brad' were both known to do this). I myself went back to my own settings after a Retul fit for reasons of comfort - despite fully disclosing a chronic injury in great detail it quickly became apparent in action that the system could not accommodate anything too far from the median.

Do it by all means, but think carefully about which you choose and don't automatically assume you'll have the miraculous relevatory experience that some claim - there are many that have the opposite.

Last edited:

YellowV2

Veteran
Regarding bike fittings, I think you want a fit with an expert who not only uses a computerised system like Retul but uses their knowledge and eye as well. I had a fit which takes 6 hours (it’s more than just a fitting with various analysis as well), with probably one of the best bike fitters certainly in Europe an ex pro rider who works with various current pro’s as well. He constantly asks how various adjustments feel and works with you to ascertain what is best for you, rather than being prescriptive.

Mike_P

Guru
It's a case of trying different ones out. Cycle shorts sizing is woefully undescriptive, think of the chaos that would be caused if all clothing was simply S M L XL XXL and totally inconsistent between differing brands. For long rides I too have gone to Le Col making use of hefty discounts when available. Ideally there ought to be some standards of greater dimensionsl descriptions of bib shorts. It gets worse for taller riders with too many being either too short in the straps or too large where it really matters.

Top Bottom