Bib Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I've got a pair of Decathlon bib shorts which are good, done many rides between 50 and 100 miles and they have been fine. I didn't go for the very cheapest they had though but chose these as they seemed a lot better quality for the additional spend.

That's one of the pairs I currently have.

They only started to chafe on a 130 miler / 13hr C2C ride I did 2 weeks ago. I agree on rides between 50&100.

Was contemplating getting another pair of these or another one up and was interested in the link Ovhino had which suggested the original price was £32. I suspect given his reply (i.e. the "real price is more like £20) that the chamois is something like these from decathlon bib shorts.. Think I'll pop over to Decathlon and spend the extra tenner when I get the chance. :smile:

Glover Fan

Getting my first ever bib shorts for my birthday next week, got some Team Katusha 2011 bib shorts, only because Focus provide their bikes (I have a bike made by Focus) and the colour scheme matches my bike (bit tarty really!) Gonna get the jersey in a week or so.

I certainly wouldn't be buying Team Katusha on the back of their performance in the Paris-Roubaix!!!!!:whistle:

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Guru
+1 for Endura FS260 Pro. Very good shorts

Also very good with an really excellent pad (its all about the pad I think), great design and by an english company and made here (Lancashire) - Shutt VR ..link here... They are more expensive but join their club room (no charge; just submit name and details and get an email once in a very blue moon) and you get 10% discount.

I didn't think I would go to bib shorts but when I got into weekly cycling I did and haven't looked back....so much better....and some good ones are worth getting.

I think you can pretty much eradicate saddle soreness for all but the longest rides with 3 things - 1. a good pair of shorts 2. cream (eg assos chamopis cream) and 3. a very good saddle that you like (I held of spending £90 on an Arione which friends were kind of preaching to me about and bought cheaper options but had to give in)

So, the story so far.....

Stunning customer service from Shutt VR. Truly brilliant outfit to deal with. Nice gear as well IMHO. (I felt it actually warrented a thread of its own...)

Wore their Bib SHorts as above today on a good healthy ride. Very comfy - nice broad shoulder straps. Great fit (despite my size) and will happily wear these for an all dayer! Much improved on my Altura Pro Gel shorts.

They are going straight in the wash so they are ready and dry for next time.... Highly recommend them.

If I hadnt also bought some CAstelli ones, would go straight back on email to one of the guys that were ever so helpful and buy another pair! If the CAstelli dont fit as well; they are going back and Pete is getting another email at Shutt.

My other thread waxes lyrical about them but will be going online and buying more stuff! (No axe to grind but well worth a brouse online)

Very happy over here on my sofa in sweat pants with tired legs (but comfy nether regions :laugh:)

Manonabike

Über Member
So, the story so far.....

Stunning customer service from Shutt VR. Truly brilliant outfit to deal with. Nice gear as well IMHO. (I felt it actually warrented a thread of its own...)

Wore their Bib SHorts as above today on a good healthy ride. Very comfy - nice broad shoulder straps. Great fit (despite my size) and will happily wear these for an all dayer! Much improved on my Altura Pro Gel shorts.

They are going straight in the wash so they are ready and dry for next time.... Highly recommend them.

If I hadnt also bought some CAstelli ones, would go straight back on email to one of the guys that were ever so helpful and buy another pair! If the CAstelli dont fit as well; they are going back and Pete is getting another email at Shutt.

My other thread waxes lyrical about them but will be going online and buying more stuff! (No axe to grind but well worth a brouse online)

Very happy over here on my sofa in sweat pants with tired legs (but comfy nether regions :laugh:)

I have a pair of shutt vr - they are nice but I was hoping to find better bib shorts. I have used them quite a bit for the last year and for rides up to 90 miles or so and they had performed just as well as other cheaper bib shorts I own.

I now want to buy another pair of bib shorts and I'd definitely like a little more comfort :biggrin: bearing in mind that a comfortable saddle is the most important item.....incidentally, I found that Brooks saddles and Shutt VR don't make the best combination.

As for riding with Bibs....... Does anybody still ride with shorts? Honestly though, I have ridden with Bib shorts for the last 4 years odd and I am a pretty small guy (mountain goat :whistle: ). I personally find the shorts round the midsection very uncomfortable and hence changed to bibs (that and the fact they kept kreeping downwards). In my minds eye, bibs are THE only way to go...

One thing I really wanted to add to this thread is this..... The pricing of you bibs over there seems absolutely RIDICULOUSLY LOW!!!
I have looked at the costings here between 20 - 50 Pounds??? Gets you a decent bibshort??? Really?? The absolute cheapest bibshorts you are going to get in SA will cost you around R850.00 (about 80 Pounds). For Assos, Castelli, Nalini Bibshorts expect to pay between R1800 - 2800 ( 170 - 270 Pounds).
Personally, I ride with teh Castelli Bibs. VERY comfortable and without the Assos pricetag. I average about 400 - 500km per week (250 - 300 Miles) and only ride with the Castelli. Padding is good, comfort is fantastic... but hen again .... SADDLE makes the MOST difference.
You are spoilt for choice over there, enjoy.... :thumbsup:

Glover Fan

Took my new Team katusha 2011 bib shorts out for a spin on sunday, absolutely amazing, made by Santini I found the padding to be exceptional, I didn't even get bum ache after 30 miles which I always used too!!

The best benefit I found of Bib shorts over normal lycra shorts was when climbing hills, I felt, I dunno more together?!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As for riding with Bibs....... Does anybody still ride with shorts?

Did a 45 miler in normal shorts with no problem , currently commute 100 miles a week in them as well.I tend go a size larger anyway to get a leg fit as i find that if i go by waits size they are too tight on the thighs.
I am not sure if bib shorts would be any different?

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
As for riding with Bibs....... Does anybody still ride with shorts?

I use either DHB Earnley padded undershorts or Karrimor cycling shorts from Sports Direct for commuting. The Karrimor shorts only cost £9.99 and they are perfect for my 18 mile round trip commute. Going to get some more as they seem fine for the price for covering that kind of distance.

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Guru
i ordered these http://www.shuttvr.c...max-Bib-Knicks/

apparently they are good for most of the year then, like you say, use with leg warmers come winter

Do let us know what you think of them when you get a chance. I have the Coolmax Bib shorts rather than the 3/4s and am pretty happy with them after two longish rides....

Want to know if it is these particular Bibs or whether it is just Bibs in general? Much prefer Bibs to be honest now that I have two pairs.

Having said that, 35 miles last night and no issues in my Altura Pro Gel shorts.....

Last long rides this weekend pre a 215 mile weekend in 13 days so now trying to decide what to wear on which day :wacko:

the altura pro gel were going to be my first choice, but i was lured by a discount on the coolmax :ohmy: :thumbsup:

i don't envisage myself ever cycling more than 100miles in a day, infact i'm just buidling up to my first 100km, so as long as they are good for those distances

will be my first bibs too. i have altura mountain bike shorts at the moment (inner lycra chamois)

OP
OP
S

Slaav

Guru
the altura pro gel were going to be my first choice, but i was lured by a discount on the coolmax :ohmy: :thumbsup:

i don't envisage myself ever cycling more than 100miles in a day, infact i'm just buidling up to my first 100km, so as long as they are good for those distances

will be my first bibs too. i have altura mountain bike shorts at the moment (inner lycra chamois)

Have done 43 miles in my Shutt Bibs and they were snug as a rug and absolutely no issues so will be interested to hear your feed back. Pad very comfy for me - possibly more so than my new Castelli Bibs tbh. Trying them both again this weekend though.

Am actually tempted to try a pair of the top of the range Altura Pro Gel Bibs - ergo fit I think they are. But how much kit does one need eh? :ohmy:

Or may just go for some ASSOS ones and sell my soul....

Top Bottom