Bib Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slaav

Guru
OK, OK. I give in!

Having succumbed to lycra a while ago now (Still a newbie), I have now decided to try out a pair of Bib Shorts as these have been recommended by several forum posters and a colleague.

Need to try them pre my big ride in 4 weeks to be sure.

I figure that as they are slightly more expensive than trad shorts, go for something worthwhile.

Value/Cost/benefit si still obviously an issue but has anyone got any firm recommendations for Bib SHorts?

I seem to get on with my Altura Pro Gel shorts and wondered if I should just go for a Bib version?

Or take a flying swan dive into the middle/top tier price ranges and ensure a great quality fit?

Help please....

Ta :ohmy:

ps - oops, should this be in the clothing section or OK here for max opinions?

ramses

Well I have recently bought my first pair of bib shorts, despite saying I never would!:tongue:

Glad I did, they are great, and once you have your cycle top on you forget you're in a bib anyway. I got last years HTC Columbia bib shorts to go with my top.
I would say it's worth spending a little extra. I have never had such good pads as I have in my HTC bib shorts.

I will be buying others in time, and I will spend a little extra, as it does make a difference.

Good luck, hope you find a nice comfy pair.

I have two pairs of these and they are supremely comfy http://www.jejamescy...item141499.html

+1 for Endura FS260 Pro. Very good shorts

Also very good with an really excellent pad (its all about the pad I think), great design and by an english company and made here (Lancashire) - Shutt VR ..link here... They are more expensive but join their club room (no charge; just submit name and details and get an email once in a very blue moon) and you get 10% discount.

I didn't think I would go to bib shorts but when I got into weekly cycling I did and haven't looked back....so much better....and some good ones are worth getting.

I think you can pretty much eradicate saddle soreness for all but the longest rides with 3 things - 1. a good pair of shorts 2. cream (eg assos chamopis cream) and 3. a very good saddle that you like (I held of spending £90 on an Arione which friends were kind of preaching to me about and bought cheaper options but had to give in)

Wobblers

Euthermic
Bib shorts are definitely more comfortable for long rides than waist shorts. You may have to try a few to find which ones suit you best. A lot of people swear by Wiggle's DHB shorts, though I personally find the insert a little uncomfortable. Shutt VR Pro shorts are good, as are the Altura Pro Gel ones. The most comfortable bib shorts I've found are Lusso Pro Gel shorts which are about the same price as the Alturas - but are made in Britain, so you're supporting British jobs (bonus!).

ohnovino

Large Member
I've got some Tenn Outdoors bib shorts. I got them because they were about the cheapest I could find, but I'm very happy with them, and as I've just noticed they've dropped the price to £16.49 I'll be getting some more!

Link

400bhp

Guru
I've got some Tenn Outdoors bib shorts. I got them because they were about the cheapest I could find, but I'm very happy with them, and as I've just noticed they've dropped the price to £16.49 I'll be getting some more!

Link

Looks a good price.

How much did you originally pay for them?

How thick is the chamois? Whats the longest ride you have done with them and did they stay comfortable?

I'm about 35-36" waist with large legs - what do you think, XL or L?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Looks a good price.

How thick is the chamois? Whats the longest ride you have done with them and did they stay comfortable?

I bought a medium 32-34 standard short from tenn because although i am a 31 "waist i still find them tight around the leg, are the bib shorts any better fitting?

BSRU

A Human Being
I could not bring myself to go for bib shorts so went for some Campag heritage 3/4 longs instead, very nice and spares the general public having to see my naked hairy legs.

ohnovino

Large Member
Looks a good price.

About £20 I think.

Can't really comment on chamois thickness as I don't have much to compare them to, maybe about 5mm?

Longest ride in them is about 80 miles and no problems with discomfort at all.

I'm a 36" waist and 36" inside leg, and I think I'm right on the margin between XL & XXL. My current ones are XL, I'll probably give the XXL a try next time.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I've got a pair of Decathlon bib shorts which are good, done many rides between 50 and 100 miles and they have been fine. I didn't go for the very cheapest they had though but chose these as they seemed a lot better quality for the additional spend.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I could not bring myself to go for bib shorts so went for some Campag heritage 3/4 longs instead, very nice and spares the general public having to see my naked hairy legs.

I like 3/4s 'til the mercury hits 15°C or so.

However, my super/sub knee hair tends to stick through the lycra, giving them a pleasing* caterpillar sort of effect.

* May not be pleasing

Top Bottom