Bib tights advice for a guy with a (ahem) "overhang"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobR

Like the thread title says, I'm looking for some advice on how likely I am to find bib tights that fit me. At 59, I have a bit of a belly (working on that one). I take an xl to xxl polo shirt, but waist 36 in trousers.

To be precise, my trousers generally sit below my belly, as do my current non-bib tights. I'm concerned that if I buy bib tights to fit my top half then I'll look like Norah Batty down below. Or will bib tights to fit my bottom half stretch over my ample top half?

Or do I just stick with non-bib tights? I have some from Amazon, but the padding is not the best. Also some from Decathlon, which are great, but are only recommended up to an hours riding. I'm starting to do longer rides than this.

Fully expecting the piss taking, but hoping for some nuggets of wisdom amongst it :smile:

weareHKR

Fat Lad At The Back has a decent selection of apparel, for the larger athlete... ;)

OP
OP
R

RobR

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking at FLATB but I'm still unclear on whether the correct waist size will be saggy on my legs... Checking out Lusso now.

Dwn

I’m not exactly the most svelte of cyclists, but have found Rapha Core bib tights and Mavis Essentials a bit more accommodating than Decathlon or Lusso. Bob tights much better (for me) thank asst tights

Sharky

Guru
I have bib shorts, but use waist tights for winter riding. As a result of broken collar bones, I found bib tights a bit tight and uncomfortable on the shoulders. So I use the waist tights with clip on braces. Does the same job and you can get the tension just right.

OP
OP
R

RobR

Mavis Essentials

I spent far too long looking for a cycling company called Mavis ^_^

Presumably Mavic?

Kajjal

Guru
You should be fine with most brands. If you have a look on their websites they have size charts which cover waist. I am 2m tall with a 40inch waist and have no problems normally going for castelli xxxl bib tights as they fit me the best, others like gore in xxl fit fine as well. Definitely get bib tights as they fit better and once the wife has stopped laughing you can just put tops on over them :whistle:

OP
OP
R

RobR

Tights, bib or non bib, are not compulsory cycling apparel, just get out on your bike and enjoy yourself in clothes that are comfortable for you.:smile:

Absolutely, and I do, but I definitely need some padding.

Top Bottom