Bib tights advice for a guy with a (ahem) "overhang"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
For the sake of your own self-respect, don't even think about wearing lycra if you are going to end up looking like a sack of custard on legs. Not only will the general public find it hilarious, but all the slimline cyclists will laugh too.
Harsh!
To the OP - wear what the hell you like. There are enough cyclists out there that don’t look like male models that really no one cares. Bib tights/shorts are really comfortable and are designed to do the job. They hold the tummy in, stop you getting a cold back or muffin top (or whatever the male equivalent of that is) and the pad is less likely to move about.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Wear bibs or shorts, it's up to you. But for sure shorts with some suitable padding work fine for long rides
I wear Decathlon shorts and I've done plenty of 100 mile rides in them
Some folk will say you need bibs but it really isn't the case

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Maybe, but also true. There is no worse cycling sight to behold than an overweight MAMIL with bits bulging out everywhere, huffing and puffing away on his mid-life crisis purchase carbon road bike. I know the slim fit roadies might well be laughing at me trundling along on an old steel skip find whilst wearing shabby workmens gear, but I can console myself with the fact they are laughing at the lumpy MAMILs even more. :laugh:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For the sake of your own self-respect, don't even think about wearing lycra if you are going to end up looking like a sack of custard on legs. Not only will the general public find it hilarious, but all the slimline cyclists will laugh too.
No we won't
Maybe, but also true. There is no worse cycling sight to behold than an overweight MAMIL with bits bulging out everywhere, huffing and puffing away on his mid-life crisis purchase carbon road bike. I know the slim fit roadies might well be laughing at me trundling along on an old steel skip find whilst wearing shabby workmens gear, but I can console myself with the fact they are laughing at the lumpy MAMILs even more. :laugh:
I couldn't care less what someone rides or how they dress to ride it. Not everyone is as prejudiced as you.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No we won't

I couldn't care less what someone rides or how they dress to ride it. Not everyone is as prejudiced as you.

You may not personally enjoy having a good laugh at some overweight bloke who looks like the Michelin Man, but I can assure you there are plenty of other lycra-wearing riders who are extremely judgemental and critical of anyone who they consider is too fat to wear tight fitting clothing. Many road cyclists are some of the vainest, most appearance-obsessed people you will ever meet.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
You may not personally enjoy having a good laugh at some overweight bloke who looks like the Michelin Man, but I can assure you there are plenty of other lycra-wearing riders who are extremely judgemental and critical of anyone who they consider is too fat to wear tight fitting clothing. Many road cyclists are some of the vainest, most appearance-obsessed people you will ever meet.
Not quite sure why this matters so much to you. I am old enough not to give a damn what the snob cyclists think of me in my bulging lycra. As a 21 stoner on a bike, I get the occasional sneering looks from the racing snakes, some of whom I suspect may be of the "all the kit but never climbed a hill" variety. Anyway, I reckon for every sneer I've ever received, I've probably climbed an Alp. I'm pretty sure that none of the much lighter cyclists who witnessed me arriving at the Col de la Colombiere under my own steam the other year were sneering at me at the time, (You shouldn't judge a book by the cover).

As for other cyclists being vain and appearance-obsessed, I'm pretty sure the joke is on them as I've yet to see anyone in lycra actually looking good once they dismount! It really isn't a good luck ... merely a highly practical one, and that should be everyone's main reason for wearing it. There's just no need to be scared about it or to poke fun at it.

OP
OP
R

RobR

Oh, bit of a non-issue to be honest. I've been alive far too many years to give a toss what anyone else thinks of me :laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
To answer the question, bib tights/shorts are generally very stretchy, meaning they will both fit around your midriff AND sit against your legs. You’d have to have some pretty skinny legs to get a baggy fit.

I’m not a racing snake, I have a spare tyre that Lycra does nothing to hide, but as many have said the clothes are comfortable and practical and that is my main concern. The only nod to looks I will make is what colours to wear, and even then I’ll mix together whatever is clean if there’s no choice.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
How about going for some standard lycra bottoms and a regular jersey? Based on your own self description I dont expect you will get a great deal of benefit from bib tights. Lose the extra timber first and then think about it.

OP
OP
R

RobR

To answer the question, bib tights/shorts are generally very stretchy, meaning they will both fit around your midriff AND sit against your legs. You’d have to have some pretty skinny legs to get a baggy fit.

I’m not a racing snake, I have a spare tyre that Lycra does nothing to hide, but as many have said the clothes are comfortable and practical and that is my main concern. The only nod to looks I will make is what colours to wear, and even then I’ll mix together whatever is clean if there’s no choice.

That's great information. Thank you.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Au contraire, I would have thought that from the OP's self description they would an ideal candidate for getting benefit from bibs, as there is no waistband.

The main reason people on here propose bibs is that they remedy the problem of the waistband cutting into the gut. I'm not svelte, but for some reason it's not a problem for me so I've never bothered with them.
Ahh yes that does make sense now you mention it.

Top Bottom