Bickerton Junction - anyone have one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
Hi Daisyj - I hope you are still enjoying your bike. I ordered the same one for myself and it arrives on Monday. I was going to buy a Dahon Qix which costs more, but was advised that this is a better bike by the bike shop.

Even got a dog basket for the rear so I can transport my pooch.
I hope you really enjoy the bike. I love it and have found the ride to be very comfy, the gears allow me to get up the hilly area I live in and it folds quickly and easily. It is quite heavy but I haven't needed to carry it far folded so that doesn't bother me. I've taken it on trains, into my GP surgery, meeting rooms at work and it's just what I was after.

I found one thing really helped me at the start - there is a sweet spot on the handlebar post where you need to lower/heighten the post to ensure the magnets align when folded without the handlebars getting in the way. It took a bit if finding but when I did, I marked it on the post and it works every time.

I love the sound of the dog basket! I have no dogs so no excuse for that accessory - I don't think my cats would be up for it!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
No, I thought we were limited to the bikes listed. I'll give it a try, thanks.
I've just had a quick look at the FAQ section on their site and it indicates that they can supply over 140 different cycle brands and it's not limited just to the bikes / packages being offered on their site. If you count the brands being offered on their site there are just over 60, so it looks like they should be able to supply a nice Brompton through their scheme.

MikeHG

(hope you don't mind the necro-bump - this thread came up in a Google search for the model, there doesn't seem to be that much info out there online about it)

I just ordered one of these too, you can get them online for ~£500, which doesn't seem outrageous given the components. The saddle alone is worth a fair bit, and I'm seriously considering selling it unused to recoup part of the cost. Not terribly fond of the aesthetics of the bike overall - it seems a bit 'ersatz rustic' to me, like it's trying a little too hard. But never mind, practical considerations override that. I'm intending to use it as a pack-horse, basically, since I don't own a car - carrying stuff from the shops, to the tip, perhaps a bit of light 'mixed-mode touring' on the trains, and for that the 16" wheels and limited gearing options of a Brompton might outweigh the advantages, not to speak of the cost.

One thing that appealed to me over the Terns / Dahons is that according to the comment from Mark Bickerton in this link:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/2...s-really-nice-things-can-come-small-packeges/

the joint sticks into the frame tubing, rather than just being welded onto it flat. That hopefully reduces the risk of the sudden catastrophic failures folding bikes are somewhat notorious for. I'm still not sure I trust it fully, will be wearing a helmet, and won't be going fast.

Technician

Hi all,

A bit late in the day I know, but I just wanted to point out the folder that Mark Bickerton is referring to in that bikerumor page above is in fact the new Argent model and not the Junction. It's the box like frame of the newer bikes that have the re-designed hinge with internal abutments.
From what I can make out the hinges on the Junction range of folders are just welded straight onto the frame.
The Argent is a very different machine it folds to the right for a start and has swept back bars, plus of course it has a rear triangle unlike previous models. Personally I much prefer the overall geometry of the Junction ( I have the 1909 ) over the newer frames. I just hope the problems that beset the Tern bikes haven't made their way across to these folders.

jimbo9

Much to late to reply as I,ve only just seen this thread.I have the Bickerton country 1707.Mine came complete with rack & front dynamo.Had it over a year and are very happy with it.I found the saddle supplied was not comfy at all so I put a brooks B17 saddle on .Much better!I purchased the front luggage truss and rack and are now good to carry anything.Fold is fine once you have marked where handlebar stem goes.Most Tern extra.s fit with no problems.

robgul

Legendary Member
Shameless plug .... but if there's interest in new/ex-demo Bickertons I have 4 on sale in my shop - details: with RRP and sale price (which are a little negotiable)

Junction 1707 City (Black) Folding
£629 £399
Junction 1909 (ex demo) Folding
£999 £499
Argent 1909 (ex demo) Folding
£1,049 £599
Docklands 1824 Country 26 wheel Folding
£749 £499

Please PM if interested and I can send pix etc

Rob

Top Bottom