Bicycle fitting nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Possibly but as the op said he's got fairly short legs Vs longer torso so it's always going to be a compromise between the two. A longer stem might help?

It's those images which made me go back to the thought the bike is too small. It just looks so wrong.

A couple of years ago a friend asked for help with her riding. We already rode together so on the next ride I paid particular attention to her position. We then adjusted everything as needed. It took 30 minutes. A few weeks later she went for a professional bike fit. The guy did nothing, said she was spot on. Obviously I was lucky but it proves the point, this is basically a very simple task. I'm nothing more than an experienced cyclist.

I mean no offence to the OP but those pics look completely wrong to me and he's making an easy task extremely complex and difficult.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I agree with @PaulSB there's a lot of over thinking here.

Don't mind admitting after op's first comment I said below.
Sounds like the frame is too big for you unless you are still growing and in which case you might grow into it.

Now having seen pictures it looks it's too small or certainly needs saddle lifting and going backwards then once we have that right then play with the bars and fine tune it .

No need for a bike fit .

@Aluminum Falcon where are you based ?

I've been enjoying this saga. It seems to have gone on longer than Coronation Street !
From the pictures my first impression was that the bike was too small. As for saying that you should be able to have the balls of your feet touching the ground whilst seated is out dated . Looking at some pictures of people riding cycles back in the old days looks like their bikes were incredibly tall, they seem to have used the pedals to raise them up onto the saddle . I find that when I come to a stop I slide off the saddle and angle the bike over so that you don't hit things . I think some of us are lucky in being able to get on with any size bike without any discomfort . They might not be the ideal size but we somehow we manage to make them fit .
It would be interesting if the OP has finally got things sorted .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My Easy way keep adjusting saddle to you can just about touch the floor in the shoes you use without leaning left or right.
Then do a few miles to see if your legs are reaching a nearly straight position and then fine tune .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It took 30 minutes. A few weeks later she went for a professional bike fit. The guy did nothing, said she was spot on.

I’m not so sure about the luck. Bike fitting isn’t some obscure dark art, adjusting the bike to fit you is fairly easy if you make small adjustments at a time and have an eye for detail. This usually takes a bit of experience as new folks adjust everything at once in big changes then wonder why it still doesn’t fit well.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
A couple of years ago a friend asked for help with her riding. We already rode together so on the next ride I paid particular attention to her position. We then adjusted everything as needed. It took 30 minutes
@PaulSB you say that bike fitting is an easy task, but you quote experiences of helping someone (so there are actually 2 people involved)) and say that any experienced cyclist should be able to do it. I am not an experienced cyclist, this is my first ever bicycle and I'm working on my own.

The advice in this thread covers the whole spectrum from the bike is too big to it's too small making it easy to get confused as I have no point of reference to work from. As for the seat height, if I put the seat any higher I will be struggling to reach the pedals through the bottom of the stroke. And as for putting it further back, both online and real life experts say the opposite.
I realise that everyone who has posted has done so to help by offering an opinion with good intentions. And as I have said before, thank you to all.
That all said, I would like to think that I am making progress and having some fun along the way.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@biggs682 I am based in Holbeach in Lincolnshire. Why?

I do have the medium frame but the stack would be a real stretch for my little legs.

I was wondering if there were any cc members who were near by that could help .

If you are ever passing through Wellingborough I would be happy to help you.

I normally have a few bikes hanging around that you could throw a leg over to get an idea and see if anything helps with your set up .

@PaulSB you say that bike fitting is an easy task, but you quote experiences of helping someone (so there are actually 2 people involved)) and say that any experienced cyclist should be able to do it. I am not an experienced cyclist, this is my first ever bicycle and I'm working on my own.

The advice in this thread covers the whole spectrum from the bike is too big to it's too small making it easy to get confused as I have no point of reference to work from. As for the seat height, if I put the seat any higher I will be struggling to reach the pedals through the bottom of the stroke. And as for putting it further back, both online and real life experts say the opposite.
I realise that everyone who has posted has done so to help by offering an opinion with good intentions. And as I have said before, thank you to all.
That all said, I would like to think that I am making progress and having some fun along the way.

I may be joining you . I've just bought a frame , didn't measure it until I got it home. It has a working bell ! The one on my other bike broke .

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
Just realised that I didn't actually list the specs of my bicycle or the current fit.
I'm riding a 51.5cm Boardman Road Sport with a 385mm reach and 559mm stack.
My saddle height is 67cm, the setback is 4cm from seat to BB, seat to bars is 48.5cm and the seat to bars drop is 4cm.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
I may be joining you . I've just bought a frame , didn't measure it until I got it home. It has a working bell ! The one on my other bike broke .
Is that working Bell thing one of the N+1 excuses?
Seeing as I have a spare pair of wheels, 2 pair of tyres and a 53cm medium frame it's tempting to build something. Possibly a flat bar fixie? I would say having half a bike is a good excuse for a bit of N+1 ^_^

Is that working Bell thing one of the N+1 excuses?
Seeing as I have a spare pair of wheels, 2 pair of tyres and a 53cm medium frame it's tempting to build something. Possibly a flat bar fixie? I would say having half a bike is a good excuse for a bit of N+1 ^_^

I've just bought a Boredman Sport X7 frame with bits attached. It is a 54 cm seat tube . I think it is a 2017 version silver and blue . I like tinkering .

Top Bottom