Bicycle Flashing Lights Are Illegal? Really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
It used to be the case that flashing lights were illegal, but the law changed. It has been covered on here often, should be easy to find.

Guys trying to have a go whilst putting on a pretence of being civil, though I only watched the first couple of minutes.

I had a local driving instructor inform me that I wasn't entitled to use the road when there was a cycle path!

Sending the video to his company expressing real concern over his ignorance resulted in his being advised of his error by his company and assurances that the trainee would also be advised that this was an error.

A couple of weeks later he pulled up alongside at the same point, glowered and wound his window up!

OP
OP
T

TrafficDroid

I had a local driving instructor inform me that I wasn't entitled to use the road when there was a cycle path!

Sending the video to his company expressing real concern over his ignorance resulted in his being advised of his error by his company and assurances that the trainee would also be advised that this was an error.

A couple of weeks later he pulled up alongside at the same point, glowered and wound his window up!
HA HA HA HA!!!! Well done. You are a Super Droid

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Flashing lights can be illegal.

Lights have to meet certain requirements, outlined in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (as amended), including output and frequency of flash. If they don;t meet the requirements they are not legal for use on the road in the UK. Not all lights sold in the UK meet those requirements.

Very few meet the standards. Happy to say none of mine do, and I would suspect most of us here don't have BS marked lights.

fossyant

That's 8:48 I won't be watching - really a none event. Are you using this forum to promote your you tube channel and increase hits ?

I find it odd that you don't contribute to the forum as a whole, just to self promote within Commuting, and within your own posts.

How about sharing your knowledge in Know How, Health and Fitness, Beginners, or even join us for Tea in the Cafe ?

veloevol

Evo Lucas
His motherboard is hardwired. This is not someone who is going to take your advice though I'm hoping since he has come to CC he'll take off his Teflon and listen to some of the guidance given.

GrasB

Veteran
Very few meet the standards. Happy to say none of mine do, and I would suspect most of us here don't have BS marked lights.
No. I'd not want anything to such a low standard!.. All my bikes have at least one set of lights which are K marked. The others are just aux lights for show. ;)

fossyant

My usual response is "Well you saw me". Only ever had one negative comment about my rear lights being too bright (grumpy milkman). Most cyclists say 'wow', and I've had two car drivers comment how good they are. BS lights are rubbish !

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I have a concern about flashing front lights which somebody may be able to allay.
If you see a flashing white light you immediately know it's a cyclist, the problem I think I have with that is that there can be an assumption that cyclists don't go very fast therefore there's plenty of time to pull out from the junction and we know how that scenario can end. If you have very bright front lights on steady then there is the possibilty that the driver will, for a second, not know what is coming towards him and will wait to make his move.
Of course this is dependant on people looking properly in the first place.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have a concern about flashing front lights which somebody may be able to allay.
If you see a flashing white light you immediately know it's a cyclist, the problem I think I have with that is that there can be an assumption that cyclists don't go very fast therefore there's plenty of time to pull out from the junction and we know how that scenario can end.

You've summed up exactly why I stopped using flashing front lights.

GC

Top Bottom