Bicycle indicators? Buy, or make my own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brand X

I'd like to put a set of rear indicators on my bike, but the ones I've seen are a bit ugly, or they're bar-end lights. Some of them are very expensive too.

What I had in mind was something like a cheap pair of motorcycle bullet indicators with the innards removed and replaced with more suitable lights and wires than the 12volts they are made for. The problem I'm having with that idea is that I'm not into electrics, and I can't find a simple explanation as to how to do it. Obviously I need bulbs, wires, a battery holder and some sort of control unit, but what exactly? It sounds extremely simple but in practice it's a PITA to figure out.

LED bullet indicators: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191953980975?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

how%20to%20draw%20an%20owl.jpg

Just use your arms. :smile:

Look behind you, then stick out the appropriate arm to make your intention clear and carry out the manoeuvre when traffic permits. ;)

OP
OP
Brand X

Brand X

I'm going to do some more hunting on YouTube to see if I can find an instructional guide to making a flasher control unit; the best option would be if I can find one that is ready made, but the cheaper wired units (which would be the most suitable) have very poor switch design - a left-right switch rather than a push-button design.

I guess I could buy one of these just to try it out; £15 won't break the bank:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyclamati...321007?hash=item25d2cb2e6f:g:jywAAOSwNKRXiRIH

(edit) On the other hand, I just read the Amazon reviews. :-(

Last edited:

Tangoup51

Lead bullets? you can't buy those!

I must of misread everything on your post i'm sorry ^_^

But seriously, I had a friend who bought some Cheap indicators from amazon, they were pretty hefty though.

He mentioned that alot of cars didn't take much notice or weren't able to predict him. I'm not sure if that's because it's not something car drivers expect to see or because they're not that bright on sunny days? I'm unsure.

But i've never had much problem with signalling tbh.

Last edited:

Tangoup51

Never do that. Last time I did it a car came by and ripped my arm off.

I really miss my Rolex.

there are certainly scenarios where sticking out a 2 foot fleshy pole infront of either traffic or pedestrian faces has been a problematic scenario once or twice.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Road positioning coupled with arm/hand signals are much easier for a motorist to understand than flashing lights on the back of a bike, a motorist may not necessarily work out that the flashing light on the back on a bicycle is trying to tell them something.

Top Bottom