Bicycle indicators? Buy, or make my own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
If you want to use those LED bullet connectors my advice would be to run one of those with a suitable (small) 12v lithium ion battery pack, an LED capable flasher relay (solid state) and a find a small lhs moped indicator switchgear.

Don't reinvent the wheel, have a look at a few motorcycle wiring diagrams ( the circuit is simple when you understand how it works).

You wand a centre returning push to cancel indicator switch ideally..

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Why do some constantly seek ways to de-skill them selves and rely on daft tech to do a job badly that a human can already do well.

Tangoup51

Why do some constantly seek ways to de-skill them selves and rely on daft tech to do a job badly that a human can already do well.

True, though for this item it's mostly over-priced chinese junk people believe they can improvise. Rule number one, don't improvise with electronics. :laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You know, you can use indicators and your arms at the same time. And hands don't glow in the dark.
Why would you use an indicator at all if you have arms. They don't need to glow in the dark. Just look behind you, eyeball any driver then, signal and make the turn when it's safe to do so.

No switches, no reliance on batteries, tech, other people's observation of a tiny light., no distractions...just the rider...riding.

Sorry but I really dislike these types of tech, they drain people of basic skills, remove the ability to gain those skills and give the person using them a false sense of security...or even worse, priority.

If you are unable to look behind you and undertake a clear signal, you really need to ask yourself if you should be riding on the road at all.

Not you, yourself, that's a Royal you

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You know, you can use indicators and your arms at the same time. And hands don't glow in the dark.
they do if you stick reflective tape to your gloves...
skeletal-gloves.jpg

...and i can indicate more than just left or right to other road users :okay:

Last edited:

But with a "Slapwrap" or similar they do.

Believe me I have seen it all, flashing gloves, flashing wrist straps, indicators, indicators on stalks, indicators on jackets.... I have even see systems which showed your speed, so a driver would know when you slowed down, as well as whole evolution of brake lights in many forms.

None is as effective or simple and reliable as a proper hand signal

Tangoup51

But with a "Slapwrap" or similar they do.

Believe me I have seen it all, flashing gloves, flashing wrist straps, indicators, indicators on stalks, indicators on jackets.... I have even see systems which showed your speed, so a driver would know when you slowed down, as well as whole evolution of brake lights in many forms.

None is as effective or simple and reliable as a proper hand signal

Oh yeah talking about those brake lights I hate the ones with the lines at the side. I remember seeing a system which has a rear-camera that detects how close a car is / it's speed, that was pretty cool tho.

Hand signals are always the best besides Cyclist get to work in the art of .... Alternative hand signals... Like if someone annoys you :smile:

Katherine

Guru
My M-in-L gave me some gloves with built in flashing indicators that flash when you touch the thumb and forefinger together. The most ridiculous gimmick she has ever given me and there have been a few. I had to pretend I was pleased and grateful but I will never wear them. I always stick my arm out and keep it out for every junction and roundabout. The gloves are short fingered and it is never warm enough for wearing short fingered gloves when I ride in the dark, which is winter evenings and my winter gloves have reflective white stripes.
Sticking out your arm makes a bigger obstacle for drivers to see.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I thought about making some indicators for my bike, but then I got distracted by my 5th birthday party. I have never seen the need to revisit that bad idea.

mustang1

Legendary Member
You could do that, but surely riding with one hand is dangerous?
Exactly what if the guy wants to put on his hazard flashers (while thanking a driver behind for allowing him to get in front) or even when parked on double yellow lines while nipping to the shop.

Top Bottom