Bicycle kick stands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many years ago I brought a bike with a kick stand bolted underneath the bottom bracket. It worked fine on a still day on level ground, not so well at other times so reverted to my usual habit of leaning the bike against something solid. Yet a lot of e-bikes seem to come with a kick stand and wondered if e-bike users find them to be stable.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Kickstands are fine if lomg enough and on solid ground.

tyred

Legendary Member
It is worthwhile to buy a quality one. The one on my touring bike is a Hebie which I ordered from Germany. Mine mounts to the chainstay and seatstay and I'd not recommend it for weight weenie. It can easily support a loaded bike.

I had two cheap ones previously which were nowhere near as stable and both broke/bent.

I have had 4 ebikes (one for only a few months - long story!) and they have all had kick stands
They have all worked fine
Clearly they don;t work at all well on a slope unless you are careful
and I once stood it up on a windy day with the stand towards the wind - so it blew over and bent the gear change!!:eek:

but if you are sensible they have all been fine - I think the length of the stand needs to be right and leave the bike leaning just enough but not too much

Top Bottom