Bicycle lock on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm planning some touring this summer, mostly in the UK but also by ferry to the Netherlands.

Usually I don't leave my bike anywhere out of my sight but this will be limiting and/or impossible on tour.

I'm torn between taking a chain and hefty lock or a lightweight lock as a disincentive to opportunist thieves.

All good advice welcome!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Personally, if you are carrying camping gear, panniers etc I wouldn't worry about the little extra weight of a decent lock.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks @Oldhippy and @presta

As always what you say makes sense.

I like the idea of buying or borrowing some chain and a hefty padlock. I have plenty of old inner tubes to use to protect the paintwork from the chain.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
what are those locks that you wear like a belt ?
Hiplok. Expensive and mixed reviews and you still need a belt for when the bike is locked.

It really depends on how (and where) you plan to lock the bike. A hotel is different to a campground, a city is different to a village, outside a shop is different to a museum. Also, is it just the bike you're worried about or your gear too?

For opportunistic deterrence I'd advocate a long cable lock (or 2!), preferably with a combination. Depending on circumstances you can lock the bike to something and include wheels and saddle. Depending on your panniers/bags they can be added too.

I also use (non hook) bungee cords that are great for wrapping in spokes and around frames. They're different and hopefully confuse a potential thief.

The best defence against the serious bike thief is not to park it where they operate. In NL that is any public space with lots of bikes - think non secure parking at train stations. They'll have the tools to break your chain lock in seconds. I prefer outside a Police station. Or places with lots of CCTV.
I try to avoid visiting urban museums etc. on the bike unless I can have secure parking.

Playing the hapless, slightly anxious (foreign) tourist will often open secure doors literally. Especially if solo.

I've toured quite a bit in NL and understand the anxiety but I've never had a bad experience - only lots of good ones. Don your sensible head, have a look around and get a feel for the place.

If staying in hotels try to check in advance if they have space for a bike. Older buildings in the bigger cities can have very limited space. And very steep stairs!^_^

Have a great time!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Who here has planned where to lock their bike for a whole tour? :eek:

I doubt that combination cable locks will suffice for much of urban UK or NL. Not worth the weight saving over a D lock or chain IMO.

Top Bottom