Bicycle SatNav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
Hi,

I am looking for an easy to use cycle computer where I can type in a start and end point, and receive clear instructions (turn by turn) like a car SatNav.

The easier to use the better.

Must have European maps, too.

Thanks.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Look at the Garmin range, somebody with more knowledge will come along shortly no doubt.
I have the basic Edge 200, it does only leave a breadcrumb trail - no maps, so you will need a more advanced model.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Phone app. I use osmand~ which can download maps, do its own routing or use online services or use a gpx file, do voice prompts (saving the battery) and track and live track and more besides.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
GPS kills phone batteries, so it's ok for a short ride, but a dedicated GPS device is a better solution.

I have the Garmin Edge 810 with Open Street Maps, and can highly recommend it, using ridewithgps.com to do the routing.

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
I was looking at dedicated GPS devices a few months ago but everyone seemed to recommend ViewRanger on a smart phone and it does everything I need. Loaded it up on an old Android phone, purchased and downloaded the OS tiles for the area I want and then turn off all radio (Wi-Fi, mobile data, etc.) and the phone battery lasts all day.....A lot cheaper than the dedicated GPS (if you already have the phone) and a much bigger screen...

robgul

Legendary Member
I would question Mr Garmin's ability to provide a realistic/accurate/usable route when given an end point to go to .... that's the one thing that lets down the Garmin range - put your own routes in and don't let it interfere or try and correct you is the answer!

contadino

Veteran
I keep looking at garmins and then discovering something on my phone that can do the job better and for free. The battery thing is a total non-issue.

The big difference I can see is that phones are difficult to read in the sun where garmins aren't. I'm currently experimenting with turn by turn audio to work around that.

My Garmin 800 has been great when I've preplanned and uploaded the route to it.

On the odd occasion I've tried to use it as a pure sat nav, and just given it a post code /address to route itself it's been awful!

The 800 and below also don't have sounds capability to speak the directions which your post insinuates you may wish - not sure about the 1000?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I use an Etrex 30 GPS using a handlebar Ram mount installed map is talkytoasters TT 1:50K LOOK n FEEL map HERE. Works a treat for me.
I preload the track I want to use and use the zoom in, zoom out button for finer detail.....
I use plotaroute.com HERE and Memory Map for creating routes...
If I do use my phone, I take a powerpack along with me....

doog

I keep looking at garmins and then discovering something on my phone that can do the job better and for free. The battery thing is a total non-issue.

The big difference I can see is that phones are difficult to read in the sun where garmins aren't. I'm currently experimenting with turn by turn audio to work around that.

The battery thing can be a bit of an issue on tour. I would hate to base a tour on the ability to charge a device when some AA lithiums in my Etrex removes that worry.

contadino

Veteran
The battery thing can be a bit of an issue on tour. I would hate to base a tour on the ability to charge a device when some AA lithiums in my Etrex removes that worry.

It's a non-issue when comparing phone sat-nav with Garmin (especially the mapping ones) as battery life is comparable. Maybe it would be more accurate to say "Battery life is an issue on tour regardless of the sat-nav you're using."

Hi,

I am looking for an easy to use cycle computer where I can type in a start and end point, and receive clear instructions (turn by turn) like a car SatNav.

The easier to use the better.

Must have European maps, too.

Thanks.
I use a Satmap active 10, does everything I want, but my main navigation aid is a paper Map and a luckily a good memory at remembering the route.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's a non-issue when comparing phone sat-nav with Garmin (especially the mapping ones) as battery life is comparable. Maybe it would be more accurate to say "Battery life is an issue on tour regardless of the sat-nav you're using."
Our Etrex (6 years old) has at least a 24-hour on-the-road life with a pair of AA Duracells of the sort you can pick up anywhere in Europe. It has full turn-by-turn routing and mapping. My phone (6 months old) will just about last 8 hours with the screen off and recording a track. If I needed to use it for navigation I'd reckon on about a 5-hour life, and it needs to be recharged using mains - which means a 2-hour wait.

To the OP - there isn't a magic bullet. You will always need a map (or a friend) to plan a route. And it's route planning (as opposed to plotting) which will take the time - to avoid that bastard hill or attack that bastard hill depending on taste. Plotting is very quick. Given a known route I can plot a day ride on a PC and transfer it to the Garmin Etrex inside about 5 minutes.

doog

Battery life isnt comparable. I can get 3 to 4 days out of a pair of lithium batteries in a Garmin etrex Legend Hcx with the device on 8 hours a day. Thats why there's a market for them.

Top Bottom