Bicycle SatNav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

I haven't said that it's better than Garmin, or that it'll work on every phone, or that it'll be the ideal solution for everyone. .

I keep looking at garmins and then discovering something on my phone that can do the job better and for free. The battery thing is a total non-issue.

:rolleyes:

You seem to have contradicted yourself slightly.

On the battery issue for those of us touring (clearly not @contadino ) ..are those using GPS enabled tracking on their phones for multi day / week trips using an external power source ie dynohub ? This would seem a decent solution but obviously adds to the overall expense.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On the battery issue for those of us touring (clearly not @contadino ) ..are those using GPS enabled tracking on their phones for multi day / week trips using an external power source ie dynohub ? This would seem a decent solution but obviously adds to the overall expense.
Actually, I don't have a way to tap the dynamos for phone charging yet, so I'm recharging at accommodation, using a battery pack or using AAs (with a cheap adapter, not a power monkey). It's not like dedicated units last forever without replenishment either.

doog

Actually, I don't have a way to tap the dynamos for phone charging yet, so I'm recharging at accommodation, using a battery pack or using AAs (with a cheap adapter, not a power monkey). It's not like dedicated units last forever without replenishment either.

I said dynohub.....no ones pretending dedicated units last forever are they ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I said dynohub.....no ones pretending dedicated units last forever are they ?
Dynohub is a Sturmey Archer trademark, isn't it? I don't have one of those but I've three other dynamos... none of which currently charge batteries.

And the way some comments are written, you'd think that dedicated units were powered by perpetual motion devices or something.

Twowheelxtc

On tour I use an iPhone fixed to the bars by the excellent Quadlock mount and powered by a dynahub. The phone stays fully charged all day with screen on. Pocket Earth is an excellent cheap App with offline downloadable maps that are much clearer for cycling than any alternatives. Like other apps they use open street maps as the information source but the presentation is far clearer for bike routes. The Wikipedia points in the map turn you into a travelling encyclopaedia!

Top Bottom