Bicycle SatNav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

& Frankly the hysterical screeching about a Garmin (ono) is better than anything ever made, ever, full stop, cross my fingers & turn around 3 times so no returns is like reading a thread of One Direction fans slagging off McBusted.

guffaw, you can put lipstick on a pig.. ...

you probably know the rest.

Danny

Legendary Member
Unless you have off-line mapping, you need a wi-fi or phone data connection to actually see where you are.
Can I just ask another basic question?

I am assuming that if you are using an on-line mapping app, like Google maps, it downloads a map when you first open the app and plot your route (provided you have a wifi or phone data connection). My question is, once you have downloaded the map can the GPS take over and direct you along your routes even if you no longer have a data connection? And if so, how much map data gets downloaded when you make the initial connection?

Or to put it another way, if I started off on a 60 mile ride from somewhere where I had a data connection, could I expect the online app to guide me along the complete route?

martint235

Dog on a bike

I am assuming that if you are using an on-line mapping app, like Google maps, it downloads a map when you first open the app and plot your route (provided you have a wifi or phone data connection). My question is, once you have downloaded the map can the GPS take over and direct you along your routes even if you no longer have a data connection? And if so, how much map data gets downloaded when you make the initial connection?

Or to put it another way, if I started off on a 60 mile ride from somewhere where I had a data connection, could I expect the online app to guide me along the complete route?
Someone will be along in a minute to answer. I don't know but I know that you'll need an app that downloads the map for you. Google maps itself will expect a data connection.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Hmmm....that gets complicated. Google Maps can download map data for offline usage, but it's hit and miss. Osmand can use online mapping as well as off, but that kind of misses the point about it. Much easier to use an offline map, frankly...

mustang1

Guru
I have a garnin touring plus. Only used itntwixe but both times it gave great turn bybturn directions with beeping as younger closer to the turn.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For an offline map with spoken directions on a smartphone then HERE is probably your best option. The app is free and available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone. I would suggest going into the settings and choosing to avoid main roads. You will need to download the offline content from within the app.

Ootini

Your phone is cack then and you do know you can recharge phones from AAs or 110v too, don't you?

Yes I do know that, but using AAs requires some powerbank or similar and 110v is as difficult to find as 240v in the middle of a forest. I've recently done an overnighter, using my phone as a SatNav and it was fine, it lasted about 36 hours before giving up. So, if I were going for longer than 36 hours, I'd consider a dedicated unit.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Also bear in mind that the uses for a phone and a gps are quite different. If I lose mys gps capability, so what ... I can navigate (albeit less easily) without. If I lose my phone, however, I can't contact people, check train times, and so on. So I use both, keeping the phone switched off while riding to conserve power (they can burn a lot of battery searching for a network in low/no signal areas). Then if I do lose GPS for whatever reason I still have the phone to fall back on.

contadino

Veteran
Yes I do know that, but using AAs requires some powerbank or similar and 110v is as difficult to find as 240v in the middle of a forest. I've recently done an overnighter, using my phone as a SatNav and it was fine, it lasted about 36 hours before giving up. So, if I were going for longer than 36 hours, I'd consider a dedicated unit.

Careful there. @doog called me a liar for suggesting a phone could run as a GPS for 25 hours. For 36 he'll have you tied to a chair ready for a dunking in the river.

AlanTh

I use Iphone 5s with TomTom app in the car as a satnav - no problems.

On the bike - Garmin Edge Touring - no problems.

doog

Careful there. @doog called me a liar for suggesting a phone could run as a GPS for 25 hours. For 36 he'll have you tied to a chair ready for a dunking in the river.

eh ! be very careful please, I never called you a liar.... these were my words

"25 hours of GPS enabled use on a standard phone on one charge ...thats interesting. What phone and battery ?"

Followed by this

"decent battery in there I see.....although I doubt its longevity."

You didnt test your phone for 25 hours whilst GPS enabled, only 5,you then drew an assumption that it would last 25 hours based on that one ride.

The touring forum on this site is a million miles removed from the rest of it, its a friendly place shared by enthusiasts .....I dont want to engage in some kind of tit for tat. You stick with your phone and Ill stick with what suits me.

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
”practical advice welcome please, not someone who popped down to Tesco with his smartphone in his pocket and claimed it will do 25 hours GPS tracking without charge."

Must've been a different doog.

contadino

Veteran
Was clicking through to the 2nd page, where the issue was resolved, too much for you? And how do you know how many hours my phone runs for?

Like I said, I've been using GPS on my phone for months without issue. I haven't said that it's better than Garmin, or that it'll work on every phone, or that it'll be the ideal solution for everyone. Just that it works fine for me.

You can call me a liar (again) and I can start calling you names....

...but I've just put you on ignore instead..

Ootini

Grab BackCountry Navigator, you can download huge amounts of map data so it's available offline. I downloaded most of Wales and North West England a few days ago, didn't take up too much space and the app works a treat. Demo version available btw.

Top Bottom