Bicycle shops during coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Leisure Lakes Bikes is open for collection of purchased bikes. We ordered a bike for my son's birthday and picked it up last week. They were great and only had to wait 5 days from order to collection. Not sure about other services.

One in the centre of Tavistock is shut.
Rockin' Bikes in Yelverton is still open, servicing is busy.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My LBS is open, they are rushed off their feet but are worried that next year will be awful as they fear they won't get the 2021 range which I think they normally get around September

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
It did not take long for predictable pattern to evolve.

The workshop was as busy as normal, customers' bikes being dusted down and bought in to get serviced after a period of being in hibernation have arguably covered the shortfall of those who are cycling less and needing their bikes serviced. There has definitely been an increase in entry level bike sales bought by those who are using cycling as either their 1hr of allowed out door exercise or for essential workers to commute. High end bikes, especially those where a 'bike fit' was normally part of their decision process have reduced; significantly.

Many stores are operating at a reduced capacity, workshop staff retained and some of the sales staff-bike fitters away on furlough leave; I fall into the latter category. As odd as it feels not being at work I have to say financially for my employer it does make sense. When we were trading normally I 'earn my keep', after 24th March although I had been occupied for a couple of weeks in the store I knew I was not paying my way. Add to that a LBS like many high st retailers are battling to survive not thrive then it was no surprise that withing a couple of weeks I was on furlough leave; I still am.

I imagine the servicing side will remain busy for most stores, although there has been an increase in entry level bikes many of the popular models have now sold out for the next few months; I fear financially it's going to be tough.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Where did you read this?
I didn't read it anywhere so it could well be wrong! My recollection was that it was a media bulletin early on, aimed at 'exercise' not 'cycling' specific, the message being 1hr and from home as opposed to travelling somewhere. I'd imagine this was in response to many of the tourist spots initially attracting what was seen as an inappropriate amount of visitors.

A quick Google search I did find some references to the 1hr (click, click, click); many customers did reference the same as well; personally it is what I assumed was the recommendation.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lbs Lloyds in swadlincote is doing 9-1 although he's furloughed his only employee. Replaced the headset on my rat bike as I am ham fisted and don't have a headset removal tool so I was not going to try and bodge it

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I spoke to my LBS yesterday for the first time since lockdown. The owner said they are rushed off their feet with a week waiting list on repairs/servicing - this is highly unusual in my experience. The repairs/servicing is on bikes which haven't been used for sometime.

Good sales but struggling to get stock.

Julia9054

Guru
My LBS (one man band, shop floor about the size of your average living room, workshop out back) is open by appointment only. Bumped into him the other day - he is very busy with repairs.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Both mine are open and doing good business. There are usually queues of socially distancing people waiting to get in.

vickster

Legendary Member
hi can i find shops online ? shipping international but for beginner how to choose ?
What do you want to buy? What country are you in? International shipping will be very hit and miss from UK so might be better to buy local

Hmq8

Regular
What do you want to buy? What country are you in? International shipping will be very hit and miss from UK so might be better to buy local

from Kuwait now all shops close during quarantine i do not know when will open , honestly beginner i do not know how to ride bicycle but want to learn what is your advice ? thank you

13 rider

Guru
My Lbs in Leicester is open (different one to @Supersuperleeds ) reduced hours but fully booked up with service work . Been in today for some essential spares as I couldn't wait for a service slot so diying my brakes . What can possibly go wrong

Last edited:
Top Bottom