Bicycle Trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daviduk

hello all i have a 3 wheel bike and i need a Bicycle Trailer does anyone know any way i can fit one to the bike as the ones what u can buy are only for 2 wheels meny thanks

3tyretrackterry

try a bike hod they fit to the seat stem www.bikehod.com

daviduk said:
hello all i have a 3 wheel bike and i need a Bicycle Trailer does anyone know any way i can fit one to the bike as the ones what u can buy are only for 2 wheels meny thanks

I could adaptor a trailer of your choice to suit. I prefer to use quick attach ball joints normally used for industrial machinery.

Or

I could build a specific trailer for you; manufacturing Cargo cycles, trailers and pedi-vans are what I do for a living.

Here are couple of photos of the trailer hitch that I use on my hybrid utility bicycle

Garethtempfile264.jpg

Garethtempfile265.jpg

I've got a camcart, some photos here, and a review in the reviews section. Though having just checked, the company seem to have disappeared so not a lot of help other than perhaps an idea of what to look for.
With the experience of mine I'd look for something as wide as your trike as the larger wheels give the camcart a highish centre of gravity - it has tipped over on a local very potholed road (admittedly it was piled high at the time on a trip to the tip).Curbs also have to be taken head on, though that may be more of issue for you on the trike anyway.

<nosey sod> Gareth - I'm curious how that towball is held on - bolted through a chainstay brace? The lock is in the way a bit. I like being able to secure trailer to bike idea. And what is that strip bolted on the side of the rack for? </nosey sod>

Piemaster said:
<nosey sod> Gareth - I'm curious how that towball is held on - bolted through a chainstay brace? The lock is in the way a bit. I like being able to secure trailer to bike idea. And what is that strip bolted on the side of the rack for? </nosey sod>

The components laid out before final fitting on to my bicycle's frame. I use a spring loaded quick attach 10 mm industrial ball joint assembly for the actual hitch; these are often found on the connecting rods of process machinery. I made up a suitable fixing arm for the ball joint from a length of 16 mm diameter steel bar, mitred it, welded it to a piece of 4 mm thick mild steel plate, and for the fitting I utilised; 3 of 8 mm X 40 mm diameter stainless steel socket head bolts, 5 of Stainless Steel flat washers, and 2 of Stainless Steel nylock nuts; the lower bolt is threaded into the bottom of the 16 mm steel bar:

Garethtempfile260.jpg

Fitted into position:

Garethtempfile263.jpg

I have often found that with some larger loads finding somewhere to attach the bungee hooks could be somewhat awkward or difficult. So I cut 2 lengths of; 3mm thick X 30mm wide X 300mm long strips of aluminum flat bar, rounded off each end of the flat bar, and filed half round indentations along the bottom edge of the bar at 25 mm centres with a round Bastard file to prevent the bungee hooks from slipping or sliding; each indentation taking me only about 30 seconds or so of effort with the file to complete. I then drilled additional holes at each end of both flat bars, one of which is utilised to attach my rear battery powered light to. I then used wire rope clamps; replacing the standard hex nuts with flat washers and nylock nuts to permanently attach these bars to my rack stays.

Garethtempfile273.jpg

I would second the Bike-Hod, but you would need to make sure it clears the basket. Contact them directly and ask.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Gareth said:
I could build a specific trailer for you; manufacturing Cargo cycles, trailers and pedi-vans are what I do for a living.

How much for a basic cargo trailer for a hybrid? PM me if you prefer :sad:

3tyretrackterry

price is a bit high i would have thought any trailer will do it is the connecting arm that is the difference
i have just made a trailer from scrap and odd and ends lying around and total price is approx 10 pounds so far though i have been lucky in that i had the welding done by a friend and some of the parts i have been lucky enuff to aquire thru friends
photos can be seen if you look in thread in recumbent forum

3tyretrackterry

i havent got £175 to spend on a trailer and you can get trailers of e bay for a lot less. there are also lots of plans to make your own and i would say they also come in for less than a mission trailer. this post is not meant to antagonise or put down mission trailers i am sure they are very good.but there are other options out there

OP
OP
D

daviduk

hello all i am here i been away for the last few days been working on my bike as it was not working that well the wheel come off the bike. i am going to try and weld a trailer up i will post a photo off it when i have made it just trying to work out how to make a fitting for the trailer to the bike seat post does anyone have any ideas on what i could do to make one meny thanks

Daveuk, and other CCers building trailers.

I have 3 of these 10 mm diameter ball joints left as old stock. They are not the spring loaded release type, but push on and safety pin type.

Send me a PM with your address and you can have one each.

You are each on your honor to drop the equivalent to the cost of the P&P on the envelope into an RNLI (lifeboats) charity box.

ballhitch1.jpg

Regards

Gareth.

Top Bottom