Bicycle Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david evans

Regular
was thinking as im back to work and nead my car at work to travel from site to site so useing my bike is out of the question what you all thorght about a bike trainer
41AlAh95ddL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

some thing like the one in the photo

Pauluk

Most people will tell you that they are mind numbingly boring. I bought the Halfords Elite for £100 as I was faithfully informed that any of the turbos for less than £350 are all about the same. I only use mine in the depths of winter when cycling isn't that enjoyable for me in ice and snow.

I'm lucky enough to have a spare bike permanently set up and just do a half hour stint every couple of days. My wife uses it more than me as she doesn't commute.

You are best getting a slick tyre for the rear wheel though so it runs quietly.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Agree, they are mind numbingly boring.....and only to be used to maintain fitness when all other options are out. Such as too windy or icy to get out. I have mine set up with one of my bicycles on it most of the time and a television in front of me.....sadly this is in the garage as my wife wouldn't let me have it in the living room - how unreasonable is that?

(She is actually extremely tolerant of my cycling obsession and I love her to bits:wub:)

Goobs

Veteran
Which trainer did you go for in the end ?
I am looking to get one and never tried them before did not really want to spend much more than £120 for one.
Any one know any bargains to be had at the moment ?

I did see a second hand jet black mag in the local paper for £50 but wondered if that was good money after bad if the parts could have worn out or whatever.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Most 2nd hand trainers are in very good condition.....because they were bought by someone that did mot realise how boring they are to use!

andsaw

http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14201_16002_29511_191319

£1500 for a glorified exercise bike that goes no where, nearly fell off my chair lol.

Goobs

Veteran
Been looking at them too.
Shop in Hull has none in store to inspect but they get a 3 out of 5 rating on this site:
http://road.cc/content/review/51272-clarke-ccti-bike-trainer
Not too many cheapos with remote (which I am after).
I am still undecided whether to throw more money at it for a fluid but they are double the price now with no deals to be had.

Apart from Wiggle who have no stock left of the fluid on offer last month does anyone know the cheapest new fluid I can get ?

Goobs

Veteran
Update:
Picked up the CCTI one for £78 this weekend.
I compared it to the CCTQR one that is £6 more.
Obviously the QR has quick release but it does not come with a front wheel stand and apart from quick release and a different colour they appeared identical. Look really well built and will update with how it performs once I get round to using it ;)

The weather is not too bad at the moment and I'd rather get the fresh air cycling outdoors with the missus than taking it in turns on the turbo !

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Problem is with the turbo is, unlike when you are "outside" when nobody can bother you. Indoors the wife can moan and anoy you at any given point!

Top Bottom