Bicycle travel from US, Ireland, and UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you for y'all's response. At this point I am only doing research. Please let me know if anyone knows of a bike shop where I could get a box.

Thanks for the help.

Dublin to London isn't that long a tour.
If the bike box is such an issue you could consider extending your tour to the Netherlands. Schipol has lots of experience with bikes and you can buy a box in the Airport.

Depending on your touring/riding style and the expense of transporting a bike have you considered buying a bike in Dublin with a view to riding it to London and disposing of it there?

I've just noticed this is in research and questionnaires. @Moderators is this in the best place?

Thank you for y'all's response. At this point I am only doing research. Please let me know if anyone knows of a bike shop where I could get a box.

Thanks for the help.
Located just outside Heathrow perimeter where the fast-food, hotels, shops are. The link has the contact details including email.

http://runwaycycling.com/contact-us/

1627520255057.png

classic33

Leg End Member
It's three years now but they let me ride on in Holyhead going to Dublin after offering me the bus. (Stena)
It was the same in Belfast going to Scotland - I was supposed to go on a bus with passengers but they let me ride on. What I thought was odd was that all passenger baggage got screened, Airport style, but with the bike I was directed around it!
Was the luggage check in a small fenced off building. Where ID was asked for.

I got stopped there after one of the sniffer dogs "indicated" on my rucksack. It released the contents of it's bladder on it. Everything bagged within the rucksack, so the contents were safe.

Was the luggage check in a small fenced off building. Where ID was asked for.

I got stopped there after one of the sniffer dogs "indicated" on my rucksack. It released the contents of it's bladder on it. Everything bagged within the rucksack, so the contents were safe.
No, it was in the terminal building (Belfast). If I recall correctly there was an airport style queue (over and back) between tape. The security guys took one look at me, bike & trailer and directed me outside.
When the bus came the driver said I could ride on.
Never saw a trace of a dog:sad:

DRM

Guru
Can I just point out there are some much more nicer places in the UK than London, by all means see the tourist sites, but consider other areas, the Yorkshire Dales, the West Country, Wales ,Scotland, the Lake District and so much more, the UK is not just London!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm planning a trip to cycle from Dublin to London next February (2022). I live in the US and I will fly to Dublin, then fly home from London. During "normal times" I would get a used cardboard box from a bike shop in the US and London to use. But I am worried that I will not be able to get a box in London before I have to fly home. I did a little research into flying over with travel case then shipped the empty case to London, but that sees to be a little expensive.

I thought about trying to find a travel bag that can be carried on my bike while I ride, but I think that will be a pain.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks
There are loads of cardboard bike boxes available here (London) on Ebay and Amazon for about £10-15, maybe less. Probably some free ones from the local bike shops too. We live in Hammersmith which is on the Tube line from Central London to Heathrow. I'm sure we could stash a box for you somehow and you could pack your bike up here if you want.

yello

Located just outside Heathrow perimeter where the fast-food, hotels, shops are. The link has the contact details including email.
http://runwaycycling.com/contact-us/

That really does look like a well thought out service. Talk about identifying a niche market! Chapeau guys :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was planning on taking the ferry. Are there any issues, other than weather delays?

No issues with bikes on the ferries. Sometimes they might charge you €10 for the bike often as not they don’t bother. There’s a ferry Rosslare to Pembroke assuming you want to do a bit more riding in Ireland than just Dublin airport to the Dublin ferry. Every time I have ridden on and off without issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom